American among 14 killed in Kenyan luxury hotel shooting
Kenya’s president declared early Wednesday that an attack by terrorists on a luxury hotel and shopping complex had ended, and that 14 people were killed, including an American.
Gunfire ran out for hours from Tuesday into Wednesday during the attack at the DusitD2 hotel complex in Nairobi’s posh Westlands neighborhood, as police conducted a “mopping up” operation targeting the gunmen.
On Tuesday, terrorists aligned with Al-Shabab — the Somalia-based terrorist network with ties to al-Qaida — attacked the complex with car bombs and gunfire.
The U.S. State Department confirmed that an American citizen was among those killed, but further details about the person’s identity were not released.
Early on Wednesday, a Kenyan official said all the buildings in the complex had been retaken from the terrorists and there was no threat to the public.
But hours later explosions and gunfire could be heard coming from the buildings and the country’s Interior Ministry said the police were “mopping up” what was left of the terrorists.
Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta later said in an address to the country that the attack was over.
Source: Read Full Article