Botched facelift leaves woman covered in horrific blisters after being 'burned from the inside out'
A WOMAN was "burned from the inside out" and left with horrific blisters after a botched facelift.
The patient, who has not been named, suffered second-degree burns following the procedure at a clinic in Taipei, Taiwan.
She ended up spending three weeks in intensive care being treated and is now said to be covered in dark scars from her burn wounds.
The woman, in her 50s, had visited the unnamed plastic surgery clinic to undergo the sought-after non-surgical "Thermage" treatment.
It's said to smooth, tighten and contour the skin by using patented radio-frequency technology to heat the deeper layers of the skin, according to the California-based company.
The applied heat causes collagen to contract and encourages new collagen to grow and is said to work after just one treatment – lasting between 30 to 90 minutes.
But after an hour of treatment, the patient reportedly began experiencing a sharp pain on her face before blisters appeared.
If the patient was under general anaesthesia during the procedure, she wouldn’t have been able to give the surgeons feedback in real time
She took herself to the hospital and was shocked to discover she had suffered second-degree burns and was put in intensive care.
Medics say she was probably unaware her skin was burning from the inside out.
Doctor Lin Shang-li, who runs the Shang-Li Dermatologic and Aesthetic Clinic in Taiwan’s northern New Taipei City, said the patient came to him for help after her traumatic ordeal.
Dr Shang-li said: “More often than not, it’s caused by the strength of the treatment.
“If the patient was under general anaesthesia during the procedure, she wouldn’t have been able to give the surgeons feedback in real time.
“She wouldn’t have been able to tell them whether it hurt or not, leading to over-treatment and eventually burn injuries.”
Dr Shang-li said he would be treating the woman’s face, which is covered in dark scars from her burn wounds.
However, due to her burn injuries, she will need to wait at least two to three months before undergoing any new procedures.
It is unclear whether the patient plans to sue the clinic.
Source: Read Full Article