Alec Baldwin plots acting comeback on Broadway after Rust shooting

Alec Baldwin plots acting comeback on Broadway after Rust shooting: Embattled actor to star in revival of the play Art

  • Alec Baldwin is set to return to the stage in a Broadway revival of the comedy Art next spring
  • According to the NY Post, Alec will star in the project opposite Tony Shalhoub and John Leguizamo
  • This will mark one of a handful of acting gigs he has had since the accidental deadly shooting of Rust cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins
  • The actor recently admitted that he has lost several jobs over the shooting and is struggling to find consistent work
  • In an interview with CNN, Alec revealed he has inside knowledge that he will most likely not be charged for the shooting
  • The FBI recently released a report that said the gun could not have possibly gone off without Baldwin firing it

Alec Baldwin, 64, is hoping for a career bounce back in the wake of the fatal Rust shooting and will head to Broadway next spring.

The embattled star is set to take to the stage in a new adaptation of the play Art, alongside Tony Shalhoub and John Leguizamo, the New York Post reported on Tuesday.

Baldwin has admitted previously that he’s struggled to find work since the Rust incident which claimed the life of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins last fall. He is currently at the center of a police investigation into the fatality. 

Comeback? Alec Baldwin , 64, is hoping for a career bounce back in the wake of the fatal Rust shooting and will head to Broadway next spring (Alec pictured with wife Hilaria in April)

The revival of Art – an art-world comedy play set in Paris – is expected to open sometime in the spring and already has a venue lined up, the Post said.

Matthew Warchus will return as director for the second time after overseeing the initial run of the Tony winning show in 1998. 

In a recent interview with CNN, Baldwin admitted that he’s had a very hard time finding and keeping work since the Rust shooting.

‘I got fired from another job yesterday,’ he told the outlet. ‘There I was all set to go to a movie, jump on a plane … I’ve been talking with these guys for months and they told me yesterday we don’t want to do the film with you because of this.’


On Broadway: The embattled star is set to take to the stage in a new adaptation of the play Art, alongside Tony Shalhoub and John Leguizamo (L-R), the New York Post reported on Tuesday

Prior to committing to Art, Baldwin filmed two Christmas movies in Italy. In March, Baldwin touched down in Rome to shoot Kid Santa and Billie’s Magic World, according to Variety.

The duo of holiday flicks are being produced by Alec and his brother, who is also starring in the two movies. The Baldwins had put these projects in motion before the Rust shooting took place.  

Kid Santa and Billie’s Magic World are both by Italian director Francesco Cinquemani, who previously worked with Alec on the 2015 film Andron. He also directed the 2021 film The Christmas Witch, which starred Alec’s brother William Baldwin.

The two films are being billed as ‘live-action/animation family Christmas comedies’, according to Variety.

Baldwin admitted that he’s had a very hard time finding and keeping work since the Rust shooting: ‘I got fired from another job yesterday.’

Meanwhile, Alec is currently at the center of an investigation surrounding the death of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who passed away after a prop gun that Baldwin was holding for a scene accidentally discharged.

Baldwin’s wife Hilaria Baldwin has stood by him since the tragedy last fall, often using her Instagram page to pen supportive messages to the star and to combat his critics.

Earlier this week, Hilaria uploaded a photo of the pair’s hands interlocked and included a heartfelt caption that encouraged her husband’s vulnerability. 

‘I am not going anywhere,’ wrote the 38-year-old yoga instructor. ‘Take all the time to be sad. I am here.’

Her post came just a day after Baldwin opened up about the accidental shooting in an interview with CNN. 

Tragic: Meanwhile, Alec is currently at the center of an investigation surrounding the death of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who passed away after a prop gun that Baldwin was holding for a scene accidentally discharged

Baldwin made it clear that he didn’t feel he, or anyone else who worked on set, would be charged for the shooting that took the life of the cinematographer. 

Speaking about the ordeal, Baldwin said: ‘That private investigator, as you probably know, did not have a difficult time accessing the staff of the sheriff’s department, and that person told us – quote, unquote – we’ve known in the department since January that Alec would not be charged with a crime.’ 

He continued, ‘I’m pretty confident neither one of them should ever work on a film set again. I sincerely believe … [investigators] are going to say that this was an accident. It’s tragic.’ 

Baldwin’s attorney added that ‘it would be a huge miscarriage of justice’ if he were charged following the deadly shooting. 

Despite Baldwin’s own certainty, a recent report from the Federal Bureau of Investigation made the question of charges a bit more murky. 

Tragic: Meanwhile, Alec is currently at the center of an investigation surrounding the death of Rust cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who passed away after a prop gun that Baldwin was holding for a scene accidentally discharged (Hutchins pictured 2019)

The report that said the gun could not have possibly gone off without Baldwin deliberately firing it.  

It means that he could still face criminal charges for the incident, with Santa Fe Sheriff’s department confirming that the case will be passed to the District Attorney. 

Baldwin said the whole experience has taken ‘years off my life,’ and he carries the weight of Halyna’s death with him. 

‘Somebody died, and it was avoidable,’ he said in the interview. ‘It was so unnecessary. Every day of my life I think about that.’ 

Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed also recently spoke out, exclusively saying in a statement to DailyMail.com that the FBI has still not tested the live rounds that killed Hutchins for fingerprints to determine how they ended up on set. 

She said, ‘The primary question in this case from the beginning has been: Where did the live rounds that ended upon the Rust set come from? 

The Sheriff’s office made a conscious decision not to pursue this question at all by refusing to ask the FBI to test any of the rounds for fingerprints or DNA.’

Pointing fingers: Rust armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed also recently spoke out, exclusively saying in a statement to DailyMail.com that the FBI has still not tested the live rounds that killed Hutchins for fingerprints to determine how they ended up on set

She added, ‘We now know for certain there were live rounds on set. It is inconceivable that the Sheriff would not seek answers to this fundamental question and it raises a serious problem with the entire investigation. We have long-sought this answer and will not give up in pursuing the truth to find it.’ 

The former 30 Rock star continues to blame Reed, ammunition supplier Seth Kenney, and assistant director Dave Halls for the shooting, arguing – and emphasizing in an Instagram post –  that he cocked the gun and pulled back its hammer but did not pull the trigger.

Lisa Torraco, the attorney for Halls, says Baldwin wants to shift blame: ‘Baldwin is pointing the finger at others because the evidence is pointing at him. Halls is not responsible. Everyone needs to stop. 

‘People are only pointing the finger at Halls because they don’t want the responsibility of being wrong. Halls is a scapegoat. People need to look at the evidence.’

Source: Read Full Article