Robbie Williams suffered mercury poisoning after eating too much fish
Robbie Williams has revealed he could have ‘dropped dead’ from mercury poisoning after eating too much fish.
The 46-year-old went vegan in 2017, but had recently started introducing fish and meat products back into his diet.
However, it seems he went too hard on the fish, as a recent check-up saw him win the dubious honour of the ‘highest mercury poisoning his doctor had ever seen’.
Speaking to Radio X, Robbie said: ‘I was eating fish twice a day and I’ve got the highest mercury poisoning the doctor has ever seen.
‘Do you know what I thought when I heard that? “I’ve won!” That’s how my ego works, “I’ve got the highest…did you say the highest? Thank you.” I literally won the mercury award.’
The Let Me Entertain You singer continued: ‘I got my mercury tested because my wife’s neurotic and she gets all sorts of tests all the time.
‘Anyway, thank God, coz I could’ve dropped dead of mercury and arsenic poisoning.’
It seems the scare had an affect on Robbie’s diet, as he said: ’I went plant-based the next day.’
Eating large amounts of fish and shellfish – particularly tuna, swordfish, king mackerel and marlin – is the most common source of exposure to methylmercury.
Typical symptoms of mercury poisoning include a metallic taste in the mouth, sickness and muscle weakness, and it can cause nerve loss, trouble walking, and issues with vision and coordination.
Actor Jeremy Piven famously dropped out of Speed The Plow on Broadway in 2008 after suffering ‘extreme mercury toxicity’.
The Entourage star had experienced neuro-muscular dysfunction, leading to difficulty in lifting his arms and legs.
Piven, now 55, regularly used to eat sushi twice in one day and also took certain Chinese herbs, with his doctor saying that a combination of both could have led to his elevated mercury levels.
His doctor told Entertainment Tonight at the time that Piven’s mercury levels were the highest he had ever seen, at six times a healthy amount of mercury in his system.
In 2016, Piven said he was still feeling the effects and turned to chelation therapy, a method of removing metals from blood, telling Cigar Aficianado magazine: ‘I’ve been chelating my blood for the past eight years. I haven’t been 100 percent since then. When that was going on, I was unable to function and it was scary as s***.’
Source: Read Full Article