Ryanair revealed earlier this year that it would be changing its cabin bag policy for a second time, and it could leave some passengers having to pay an extra £8.
Under the current policy, only priority boarding passengers can bring two bags of hand luggage into the cabin for free, while non-priority passengers can take one small bag into the cabin and have a second bag put in the hold for free.
But not anymore.
From the 1st November, those who aren’t priority boarders will have to pay extra if they want a second bag at all; in fact, you’ll need to fork out £8 for a bag up to 10kg.
It’s good news if you’d planned to check in a second bag anyway as you’ll be able to pay £8 for a bag up of to 10kg instead of the usual £25 for a bag of up to 20kg.
But if you hadn’t planned to pay for a second bag, the choice for non-priority passengers will be to either pay the extra £6 for priority boarding (£8 if you choose to add this to your booking later), or pay £8 to get it checked in the hold.
Or, stick to one small bag. Not exactly ideal if you’re jet-setting off for a few days.
There’s no point in chancing it at the gate either, as if you’re not a priority boarding you will still be made to pay a fee to have your second bag placed in the hold.
Oh, and if you’ve already booked a flight, you’re still going to need to fork out the extra £8 if you were planning to bring a second bag, as the rules apply to all travel from 1st November onwards.
Another one of Ryanair’s weird and wonderful extra fees .
As for the reason for the change?
The airline has blamed the number of people turning up at the gate with a second bag to place in the hold for free, which they say can cause delays of approximately 25 minutes.
They claim that under the new, revised policy, this will "speed up the boarding and cut flight delays".
Michael O’Leary had previously hinted that they might be revising the policy because of the delays caused.
Ryanair’s Kenny Jacobs said of the new change at the time: "From November 2018, we are introducing a new lower cost 10kg checked bag and changing our carry-on bag policy to eliminate boarding/flight delays.
"Priority Boarding customers will continue to enjoy two free carry-on bags. All other (non-priority) customers will be allowed one free (small) carry-on bag, and those who wish to check in a second bigger 10kg bag can do from €/£8 at the time of booking.
"This new policy will speed up the boarding and cut flight delays. 60% of customers will be unaffected by these changes and we expect that the other 40% will either choose to buy Priority Boarding or a 10kg check bag or will choose to travel with only one (free) small bag as 30% already do so today."
The news comes after the airline also changed its check-in policy , cutting down the check-in window from four days down to 48 hours – the only people exempt are those who have paid to reserve a seat.
Source: Read Full Article