OVERHAULING your capsule wardrobe? Make sure you leave room for a crisp white t-shirt or two.
When it comes to staple pieces, the white tee really is a hero garment that can be worn in a multitude of ways—and the best white t-shirts will create loads more outfit choices, becoming the foundation of your wardrobe as you mix and match pieces around them.
The beauty in the white t-shirt is its versatility: it layers well under summer dresses for trans-seasonal wear, looks effortless with a pair of skinny jeans and blazer, and sits just as well under knitwear in the winter, as it does in the summer with a pair of denim cut-offs.
For something so simple, there’s a LOT of choice when it comes to shopping for the best white t-shirts for women.
Cropped, boxy, slim-fitting and oversized are just some of the options on offer, while fabrics are something to consider too. Organic cottons are always a great place to start but you may also want to opt for something with a touch of elastane for a stretchier fit.
Whether you're looking for something to tuck into your favourite denims or a t-shirt you can knot and wear with a summer skirt, we've rounded up a must-have selection for you to choose from.
1. Best fitted white t-shirt: Diesel Uftk-Body-Sv Short-Sleeve Body
- Diesel Uftk-Body-Sv Short-Sleeve Body, £30 from Farfetch – buy here
Looking for a fitted white t-shirt? Diesel's stretch-cotton body will do even better than that, giving you a really seamless effect.
For £30, it's at the affordable end of designer labels but will last you just as long, so you don't have to keep heading to cheaper shops every month because of tops shrinking.
Emulate Diesel's look with some acid-wash jeans, boots and don't forget your leather jacket.
2. Best cotton white t-shirt: &OtherStories' Boxy Organic Cotton T-Shirt
- Boxy Organic Cotton T-Shirt, £17 from &OtherStories – buy here
No one does Parisian chic staples quite like &OtherStories – we love their Boxy Organic Cotton T-Shirt.
Cut for a boxy loose fit, it's made entirely from organic cotton which is a great reason for it to be your next trusty go-to all year round.
We can see this working just as well with trendy denim looks as it will with loungewear on your days off.
3. Best long white t-shirt: Free People Starlight Tee
- Free People Starlight Tee, £68 from Free People – buy here
Free People's long-sleeved Starlight gem floats longer than your average, because it isn't your average t-shirt.
Complete with on-trend sleeves featuring thumb holes, the making of this floaty fairy-like top involved at least 50% of a certified eco-conscious fibre or process.
Make sure you hand wash this one to avoid damaging it.
4. Best long-sleeve white t-shirt: Mango's Long Sleeve Cotton T-Shirt
- Long Sleeve Cotton T-Shirt, £17.99 from Mango – buy here
Every woman needs a reliable long-sleeved white top. You can style them in so many ways: under dungaree dresses or knitted vests, by themselves with silver jewellery, and even with skirts for date night.
Mango's Long Sleeve Cotton T-Shirt is under £18, made from partly organic cotton and cut with a classic crew neck.
This one's an online exclusive.
5. Best off-white t-shirt: Reformation's Muse Tee
- Muse Tee, £42 from Reformation – buy here
Sustainability never looked so good: Reformation's off-white Muse Tee has been manufactured saving 11lbs of co2, and 3279 gal. of water.
It might be a little pricier than your average staple tee at £42, but it's durable enough to be the last off-white top you buy for a long time.
Take tips from Reformation's lookbook and match yours with gold hoops and a little black skirt. We love.
6. Best oversized white t-shirt: ASOS Oversized Tee in White
- Mango Oversized Tee in White, £17.99 from ASOS – buy here
For those days off, and days you want to make comfy cool happen, Mango's white Oversized Tee will do the trick. Just head to ASOS.
Featuring a relaxed shape with dropped shoulders, this white top has a round neck and is oversized, so you don't need to size up if you're looking for a baggy tee.
Styling tips? Extra large t-shirts go well with streamlined pants, and frayed denim shorts in summer.
7. Best white t-shirt dress: PrettyLittleThing White Oversized Boyfriend T-shirt Dress
- White Oversized Boyfriend T-shirt Dress, £15 from PrettyLittleThing – buy here
Look no further than PrettyLittleThing for a white t-shirt dress that'll do the job nicely – it's only £15.
From the crewneck, to the extra long sleeves and super oversized silhouette, this is a laidback dress that's sure to save lots of getting ready time.
Wear yours with knee-high boots to channel your inner Ariana Grande.
8. Best cropped white t-shirt: Monki's Cropped Button-up Top
- Monki cares Cropped button-up top, £15 from Monki – buy here
The 90s has been 'back' for what feels like forever now, bringing with it a nonchalant air of cool. This white tee from Monki nails the decade's laidback vibe, with a casual but fitted button-up style that's very Rachel Green.
Worn unbuttoned, this is how to do alluring in the chicest of ways.
9. Best frill detail white t-shirt: Zara's Ruffled T-Shirt
- Ruffled t-shirt, £14.99 from Zara – buy here
Proving that the proverbial white t-shirt doesn't have to be bog-standard, this pretty tee by Zara features a round neckline and contrast ruffle trims on the sleeves which gives it a really elevated look.
Plus it's crafted from 100% organic cotton and is part of the brand's 'Join Life' label which ensures it's been made using technology and materials that are kinder to the environment.
A must if you're looking to make more eco-friendly shopping choices.
10. Best elevated white t-shirt: Victoria, Victoria Beckham's Ruffled Organic Cotton-Jersey T-Shirt
- Victoria, Victoria Beckham Ruffled Organic Cotton-Jersey T-Shirt, £150 from Selfridges – buy here
Trust Victoria Beckham to take the simple white t-shirt and make it into a thing of extravagance!
If boxy white t-shirts feel a little too plain and casual for you, adding interest with your sleeves is a tried and tested way to inject some femininity into your silhouette.
We're loving how the ruffled sleeves on this tee by the former Spice Girl's fashion label play with proportions—and also create the illusion of a smaller waist, thanks to those gigantic shoulders.
11. Best cheap fitted white t-shirt: New Look's White Crew Neck T-Shirt
- White Crew Neck T-Shirt, £6.99 from New Look – buy here
You can always count on New Look to come up with good quality basics, and this white t-shirt is no exception.
At just £6.99 and made from organic cotton, it's in the brand's '2 for £12' deal so you can pick up another colour while you're at it.
Even better, it's also part of New Look's Kind range: styles that are 'responsibly sourced and friendlier to the planet.' What's not to love?
12. Best alternative to cotton: BAM's Origin Bamboo T-Shirt
- Origin Bamboo T-Shirt, £25 from BAM – buy here
Founded in 2006, BAM is our go-to brand for stylish staples that have the soft feel of cotton—but are made from breathable and sustainable bamboo!
Bamboo is a great alternative to cotton: it requires half the land to produce the same amount of fibre plus it doesn’t use irrigation or pesticides.
This classic tee is an instant winner for relaxed everyday style, with a flattering fit to suit all shapes.
Made from a bamboo blend, it also comes with an Ultraviolet Protection Factor of 50+, making it ideal for summer wear as it blocks 98% of the sun’s UVA and UVB rays.
Team it with stonewash jeans for the chicest of off-duty looks.
13. Best 'dressy' white t-shirt: New Look's White Ribbed Corset Seam T-Shirt
- White Ribbed Corset Seam T-Shirt, £6 from Missguided – buy now
If you're looking for a more dressy option to add to your collection of white tees, New Look has created a winner here.
With corset seam detailing, we love how this tee adds feminine shape to the standard white t-shirt look—plus those puffy sleeves are super-cute.
It's a no brainer for effortlessly dressing up your daytime casuals.
14. Best linen-blend white t-shirt: Whistles' Short Sleeve Linen T-Shirt
- Whistles Short Sleeve Linen T-Shirt, White, £49 from John Lewis – buy here
You can't beat the look and feel of linen in the summer.
Whistles has got it just right with this simple round neck tee in a relaxed silhouette which will go with all manner of outfits.
Crafted from pure linen, the short turn-up sleeves give this a really laidback vibe too, which is always a winner when the sun's out.
A go-to t-shirt for effortlessly chic style that will keep you cool in the heat.
15. Best white t-shirt for work: Mango's Turtleneck Organic Cotton T-shirt
- Turtleneck Organic Cotton T-shirt, £12.99 from Mango – buy here
Workwear codes are becoming increasingly casual—especially with many of us now working from home and only needing to drop in on the occasional video meeting.
This long-sleeve T-shirt blurs the boundaries between smart and relaxed in all the right ways; its high ruched neckline sleeves and voluminous shoulders make it look instantly dressier and more elevated than a standard tee.
It's also part of Mango's Committed range of products that have been produced sustainably to reduce their impact on the environment.
16. Best Hugo Boss white t-shirt: Boss Boss Eloga T Shirt
- Boss Boss Eloga T Shirt, £55 from House of Fraser – buy here
Everyone needs a bit of sparkle in their lives, especially when those sparkles come in the form of a Hugo Boss logo.
Made from soft cotton, this ribbed crewneck t-shirt has a glittery sequinned Boss logo on the front.
Fashion seasons might change, but a designer white tee is always on trend.
17. Best Ralph Lauren white t-shirt: Lauren Ralph Lauren Stretch Cotton Boat Neck Top
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Stretch Cotton Boat Neck Top, White, £39 from John Lewis – buy here
Elegant, classic and timeless: Ralph Lauren's Cotton Boat Neck Top is an affordable must-have for the luxury house at less than £40.
Cut from soft stretch-cotton, this top's sleeves are longer for a flattering fit, and the boat neck makes for a more sophisticated white t-shirt.
You can always rely on Ralph Lauren for high quality, smart basics.
How do you wear an oversized shirt?
Go for an edgy look by wearing an oversized white shirt over a pair of high-rise jeans.
Don't be afraid to rock that relaxed style with a pair of cute black boots.
Accessorize your outfit by throwing on your favourite scarf or necklace.
How do I keep my white shirts white?
Make sure you wash them every one or two wears and always wash white clothes separately.
Use the hottest water you can and don't overload your washing machine.
What colour bra should I wear with a white t-shirt?
A bright white bra will still contrast with the colour of your skin and stand out under your shirt.
As such, nude is a best bet.
A neutral bra that matches your skin tone will essentially disappear.
And of course, the closer to your complexion, the better.
Enjoyed our roundup of the best white t-shirts for women? Then you might also like our roundup of the best high street jeans.
Looking for more fashion inspiration? Take a look at our dedicated Sun Selects Fashion section.
We're here to help you to find the best bargain, so check out Sun Selects for more stories like this.
Source: Read Full Article