Did Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Just Start a New War They Can't Win?
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have become used to seeing their names blasted all over the tabloids. But just because they have come to expect the media to spread rumors about them does not mean that they are not any less frustrated by some of the things that they read about themselves in the papers.
In the past, Harry has pleaded with the media to give him his privacy and to leave Markle alone. Now, however, the young prince has reached his boiling point and is ready to take his frustrations to court.
He has decided to sue the popular British publication, the Mail on Sunday, for editing and publishing a letter that his wife wrote to her father. Many fans are commending the prince on standing up for himself, but some think that by filing this lawsuit, the Duke of Sussex may have bitten off more than he can chew.
So, did Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just start a war they will not be able to win? Here is what we know about the situation so far.
Why are Meghan Markle and Prince Harry suing a world-renowned publication?
On October 1, 2019, Prince Harry and Markle released a joint statement on their official website where they announced that they would be filing a lawsuit against The Mail on Sunday for illegally publishing a letter that Markle wrote to her father just before she married Prince Harry.
The announcement read:
“The contents of a private letter were published unlawfully in an intentionally destructive manner to manipulate you, the reader, and further the divisive agenda of the media group in question. In addition to their unlawful publication of this private document, they purposely misled you by strategically omitting select paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words to mask the lies they had perpetuated for over a year.”
In the statement, Prince Harry says that he has finally decided to take legal action against the publication because he could no longer watch his wife “suffer in silence.”
The Mail on Sunday is prepared to fight back
Markle is the one who is technically suing the publication, but Prince Harry is the one who is unapologetically letting the world know just how angry this situation has made him. Harry still very much blames the media for not only his mother’s death but also her unhappiness while she was still alive.
And now that they are attacking his wife, he is afraid that history will repeat itself.
The Mail On Sunday has said they do not believe that they have done anything wrong and that they are prepared to fight this matter out in court.
A statement released by the infamous publication said: “The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously. Specifically, we categorically deny that the Duchess’s letter was edited in any way that changed its meaning.”
Could Meghan Markle and Prince Harry be fighting a losing battle?
This is hardly the first time that a member of the royal family has sued a global publication. In fact, in 2012, Prince William sued a French magazine for secretly taking an publishing topless photos of Kate Middleton while she and William were vacationing in France.
In this particular case, however, some feel that Harry and Markle’s decision to sue The Mail On Sunday may not result in the outcome that they are hoping for.
The BBC recently spoke with former Daily Mirror editor, Roy Greenslade who thinks that because the media is not nearly as powerful as it used to be, Harry and Markle’s suit may be a bit overkill.
“Is he taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut here,” Greenslade asked. “I think he may well find that this is counter-productive.”
Royal Correspondent, Nicholas Witchell, disagrees with Greenslade and thinks that Markle and harry’s decision to sue one of the biggest publications in the world could be a huge mistake because “British tabloids are not afraid to fight.”
But Greenslade says that we will just have to wait and see if this was a wise decision on Harry and Markle’s part.
For a couple who claims that they want the media to leave them alone, there is a good chance that their decision to sue The Mail on Sunday could end up backfiring on them because it could give them a lot of unwanted attention, especially if they lose the case.
Source: Read Full Article