Many hurried Americans grab breakfast on the run, which typically results in too many carbs and calories at the beginning of the day.
Toaster pastries, muffins, and even innocent looking granola bars can set up you up to eat too many calories and carbs, according to Healthline. So how can you get out the door on time but still have a healthy (and easy) low calorie and low carb breakfast? Check out these recipes from SELF — we even ranked them from most to least number of carbs. No. 1 is so low in carbs it will easily become a brunch favorite.
8. Sweet meets savory
This protein-packed breakfast is so delicious. | Jarabee123/iStock/Getty Images
- Six-ingredient sausage potato pie
- Calories and carbs per serving: 293 calories; 14 grams carbs
You’ll need eggs, milk, cheese, potatoes, kale, and ground sausage to make this breakfast pie that should last a few days. Easy hack is to purchase pre-shredded cheese and hash browns to save time.
Next: Take a Mediterranean dip.
7. An innovative way to have eggs and toast
A healthy way to enjoy toast for breakfast. | SasaJo/iStock/Getty Images
- Mediterranean scrambled eggs
- Calories and carbs per serving: 249 calories; 13 grams carbs
This scramble only takes about 15 minutes to make, which means you have more time to get out the door. Cut down on time by purchasing pre-chopped yellow peppers, onions, black olives.
Next: Here’s something for kale lovers.
6. Your new favorite frittata
Frittatas are perfect for those at-home brunches. | Upyanose/iStock/Getty Images
- Kale veggie mini frittata
- Calories and carbs per serving: 157 calories; 9 grams carbohydrates
Your breakfast will shine thanks to a healthy dose of kale. Bake these adorable little frittatas in a muffin tin and make them the night before to save time in the morning.
Next: Dig into this open- faced breakfast sandwich.
5. Head to Greece with this breakfast
The star of this recipe? Fresh feta cheese! | Mizina/iStock/Getty Images
- Open-faced omelet with feta
- Calories and carbs per serving: 183 calories; 5 grams carbs
This delectable breakfast will make you feel as though you are on a Greek island — at least for a little while. The recipe calls for roasted tomatoes, which you could make ahead to cut down on time. Or purchase sun dried tomatoes as a substitute.
Next: A salad for breakfast?
4. The ideal breakfast for the Paleo lover in you
This breakfast salad will keep you full until lunch. | Wavebreakmedia/iStock/Getty Images
- 4 ingredient seaside Paleo breakfast salad
- Calories and carbs per serving: 237 calories; 4 grams carbs
This breakfast salad takes only 15 minute to make, plus is loaded with 21 grams of protein per serving. Also, embrace the sardines, because apparently they make this salad taste amazing.
Next: Get tropical with this breakfast.
3. Go coconuts for these muffins
It’s easy to meal prep a whole batch of these muffins. | Vignesh p/iStock/Getty Images
- Coconut lemon chia seed muffins
- Calories and carbs per serving: 92 calories; 3 grams carbs
Make a batch of these delightful muffins ahead of time so you can grab and go in the morning. Oil from zesting the lemons really brings out the flavor and is a nice compliment to the coconut.
Next: You’ll never believe what’s hidden in this breakfast.
2. Get your protein and vegetables first thing
Start off your morning with delicious cauliflower. | Yelena Yemchuk/iStock/Getty Images
- Cauliflower hash brown egg cups
- Calories and carbs per serving: 98 calories; 1 grams carbs
This recipe is both low carb and gluten free. The cups call for riced cauliflower, which you can make on your own. Or try this easy hack and buy either frozen or fresh pre-riced cauliflower. It’ll save you a lot of time and mess.
Next: Escape to Paris with this breakfast.
1. This will become your go-to for brunch
Perfect for the whole family. | iStock.com
- Herbed baked eggs
- Calories and carbs per serving: 227 calories; 1 grams carbs
This dish will look and taste like you slaved over a hot stove for hours, but it only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. Bake in adorable gratin dishes or ramekins, which really enhances the presentation.
Check out The Cheat Sheet on Facebook!
Source: Read Full Article