Mum demands investigation after girl, 7, finds ‘fingernails’ in Aldi sardines
A disgusted mum has told of how her daughter almost swallowed some 'fingernails' she found in Aldi sardines.
Lizzie Record's seven-year-old daughter Jessie had a mouthful of the fish in her mouth when she made the grim discovery.
She told her mum 'I've got a fingernail in my mouth.'
The youngster continued eating her breakfast but was then stunned to find another one, reports Devon Live.
Lizzie checked the others on her plate and was horrified to see two more.
Aldi claims they are not fingernails but instead fish bones – but Lizze, from Exeter, is not convinced and doesn't feel as though the store is taking her complaint seriously.
She said: "Jessie is a pretty healthy child and she asked me for sardines for breakfast so I served it up as normal.
"When she said she had found a fingernail I just thought well it isn't my fingernails or Jessie's.
"So she continued to eat her breakfast which is when she found another one and that's when I thought that it was just bizarre."
Lizzie said she then checked the remainder of the sardines which were left on the plate to see if there were any more.
She added: "When I started looking I found another two fingernails, it was just disgusting.
"The fingernails were quite small so it could only have been a teenager or someone with small hands. I checked them further and there were longish but it seemed as though they had been cut before they were put in the fish."
After the bizarre discovery, Lizzie contacted Aldi's customer service.
She said: "I have found bits of plastic and things in food from Aldi before and I have never complained, but after finding fingernails in the sardines I just had to.
"Since Aldi have apologised and after sending them a copy of the barcode they told me that it was fish bones, not fingernails in the sardines. But I know what it is, and it's not fish bones.
"They gave me a £5 voucher and told me to go back to the store but I don't feel like they are taking it seriously and that they're going to do anything about it.
"You can't just ignore something like this, luckily Jessie wasn't sick from it but I will be careful about what I buy from there from now on."
Aldi says it believes the bones were fish bones, and the supermarket insisted such finds were rare.
An Aldi spokesperson said: “While very rare, bones like this can occasionally be found in some cans of fish, nonetheless we are sorry to hear of Ms Record’s experience.”
Source: Read Full Article