Mum loses finger and left fighting for her life after being scratched by a cat

A mum almost died after developing a deadly flesh-eating bug when she was scratched by a stray cat .

Moira Brady, 45, developed MRSA and Streptococcus A, which can cause serious bacterial infections, after she was clawed by a feline in her garden.

Moira says the ordeal has "ruined" her life after she lost a finger from her left hand.

Doctors told her she is lucky to be alive – it is likely the infection would have killed if she had not sought medical attention.

Her kidneys has started to shut down as the infection had spread through her body.

Moira, from Glasgow's Baillieston area, spent a month in the city's Royal Infirmary and has had two skin grafts on her arm and will require more surgery in the future.

She said she was scratched by a cat – possibly feral – that was fighting with another feline on a trampoline in her garden.

The animal lashed out after she tried to shoo them away.

She thought nothing of the scratch at the time but it had punctured her skin and days later her hand swelled up and one of her fingers turned blue.

Moira, who has two daughters, said: “They asked me if I had been near animals.

“The doctors had to take half of my finger off and then took the rest of it off.

“The infection went right through my body.

“They said I could have died or lost my whole hand.

“The surgeon stayed five and a half hours after his shift to save my life and I had to have a blood transfusion.

“He said to me I was very lucky.

“The amount of people I’ve spoken to who couldn’t believe this happened after getting a cat scratch.

Source: Read Full Article