Mum who has just battled cancer left with just one photo as fire guts her home
A mum who survived breast cancer has been left homeless and with just one family photo after a devastating blaze gutted her home.
Laura Ferris is staying with her family in Co Derry along with her husband three sons.
A kitchen fire at their home in Glenmore Gardens, Limavady, completely destroyed their belongings, reports Belfast Live .
Laura's sister Maoilisea said that she managed to salvage her youngest son's favourite flamingo teddy and a wedding photo – but that is all.
She said: "Laura was going to the shop and she bumped into her neighbour and got talking then noticed her fire alarm was going off. She ran back to the house and her kitchen was just up in flames.
"They opened the door and tried to hose it which probably wasn't the best thing to do but when your house is on fire how else do you act?
"Laura is only 39 and has battled breast cancer and lymphoma so this is the last thing she needs because she is still quite poorly.
"The house was completely wrecked and they are all sleeping between my house and my mummy's house at the minute. We have sofa beds and things like that so we have pulled together to help them.
"Because Laura has been so ill, Kieran left work to look after her, and now they have been left with nothing – it's heartbreaking to watch.
"Her youngest boy's school uniform was destroyed and her other son had just started a new job and now all of his clothes and gear are gone.
"They were offered to move yesterday but the closest they could be placed is over 20 miles away. Laura came into my house last night in floods of tears. We feel like she hasn't really been accommodated for that well considering her situation and medical state."
Maoilisea praised the Limavady community for their rapid response to her appeal and extended the appeal further to help the family get a new home.
Source: Read Full Article