Tourist tells of incredible escape from death after 115ft Dorset cliff plunge

A TOURIST has told how he miraculously survived after falling off a 115ft cliff into 4ft of water. 

Alex Tridico, 28, says it's "sheer luck" that he is alive after he slipped on a footpath at Old Harry Rocks near Swanage, Dorset, while walking with friends.  

The research scientist reckons he only survived because he pushed himself away from the cliff edge moments before falling. 

Alex and five friends had travelled to Dorset from London for the Bank Holiday weekend. 

He is currently in hospital with three fractured ribs and a punctured lung. 

Alex told The Sun: "I tried clutching onto the rocks, the grass, anything to keep me up but my fingers were slipping. 

"I had about three or four seconds whee I realised I was going to drop, I thought 'right, well this is it I'm going to die'. 

"It was terrifying, but I knew I had to push myself away from the cliff edge, otherwise I'd land in too shallow water. 

"It's just sheer luck I survived, everybody is stunned I'm not dead, I've only got minor injuries considering how far I fell."

A group of kayakers came to Alex's rescue and helped him onto the rocky shore at the foot of the chalk cliff and gave him first aid. 

RNLI teams from Swanage dashed to the scene and whisked him away to hospital via land ambulance. 

Doctors told Alex they estimate he fell roughly 35 metres (115ft). 

Lifeboat man Ian Brown said it was a miracle Alex had survived the deadly plunge. 

He added: "The tide was in at the time and he landed in the water. "It wouldn't have been that deep, probably 4ft at most. 

"He is incredibly lucky to have suffered relatively minor injuries."

Witnesses claimed Alex had been posing for a selfie when he fell, but the university researcher says he had just underestimated how slippery the footpath was. 

Alex added: "I was walking ahead of my friends on the footpath, my phone was in my pocket and suddenly I lost my footing and I slipped. 

"It all happened very suddenly, the last thing I remember is desperately trying to clutch onto the cliff edge but I couldn't hold on. 

"I felt myself fall and then woke up at the bottom. 

"Thankfully the kayakers were nearby to help me and I'm incredibly grateful to both them and the RNLI as well as the hospital doctors. 

"I'm incredibly lucky to still be alive." 

    Source: Read Full Article