7am Tottenham news LIVE: Pochettino second in sack race, Mourinho and Xavi potential replacements, Dier apology – The Sun
TOTTENHAM were dumped out of the Carabao Cup by Colchester on penalties to leave them with only one win from seven in all competitions.
Mauricio Pochettino's Spurs were held to a 0-0 draw in normal time before Christian Eriksen and Lucas Moura missed in the shootout.
Follow all of the latest Tottenham news right here…
EXCLUSIVE by Neil Ashton: MAX ALLEGRI is waiting in the wings if Mauricio Pochettino walks away from Tottenham.
Fears are growing inside Spurs that Poch is preparing to quit after five years at White Hart Lane.
Allegri, who is taking a year out after leaving Juventus last summer, is weighing up his next challenge.
The ex-Juve coach won five Serie A titles in Turin but was beaten twice in the Champions League final.
He is taking a break from the sport but would put himself in the running for the job if Pochettino quits the new White Hart Lane stadium.
Brendan Rodgers also has his admirers if Pochettino ultimately decides he needs a fresh challenge.
TOTTENHAM left-back Ben Davies has apologised for Spurs' embarrassing display against Colchester.
Speaking after crashing out of the Carabao Cup, he said: ” It’s horrible – it’s a trophy, a good chance to pick something up and we’ve let it slip at the first hurdle.
“The manager didn’t need to say anything afterwards. In the dressing room, we were all as disappointed as him. We let him down, we let the club down. We weren’t terrible.
“We just didn’t seem to click, didn’t put anything together. We have to win these games. We have to show we’re a better side than this. It’s a tough feeling right now.
“We just have to apologize to the supporters too. We let them down. They travel with us everywhere and they’re first-class. We need everyone behind us now to help us push on through this difficult time.”
SPURS striker Harry Kane has revealed that the club have no excuses for their poor start to the season.
After losing against Leicester on Saturday, Tottenham were dumped out of the Carabao Cup against League Two side Colchester last night.
Speaking to Sky Sports about the campaign so far, Kane said: “I'd say it's been disappointing, I don't think there's any hiding behind that. To only win two games out of our first seven is not the standards that we've set in previous years.
“Obviously the two draws at (Manchester) City and Arsenal are not terrible results, but being 2-0 up at Arsenal and drawing does feel like a terrible result.
“We've put ourselves in good positions this season, we just haven't managed to see the game out or find a way to win like we have in previous years.
“It's a disappointing start, but there are plenty of games to turn that around, starting with the game on Saturday [against Southampton].
“[Game management] is something we need to get better at, when we go ahead in games we need to be more confident, to see the game out, whether we drop behind the ball or carry on playing, whatever suits that game.
“We're not inexperienced any more, we're not young any more, the excuses aren't there for us any more. It's down to us players to take responsibility.”
TOTTENHAM were brutally trolled on Twitter – for a tweet sent more than six years ago.
Users brilliantly dug out a post from July 19, 2013 when the club's social media team were struggling to get online… at Colchester.
Spurs were dumped out of the Carabao Cup last night following a 0-0 draw and penalty shootout defeat against the same League Two.
And suddenly the old tweet resurfaced.
It read: “Apologies – we're encountering technical problems at Colchester.”
The tweet was sent during a pre-season friendly between the two clubs which ended 0-0.
One reply to the post read: “LOOOOOOOOOOL YOU CANT MAKE THIS UP.”
Another said: “6 years later and you lot are still encountering technical problems at Colchester.”
A third added: “You never fail to mug yourselves off, do you?”
And a final user joked: “And shooting problems I’m hearing.”
Source: Read Full Article