Bury and Bolton EFL LIVE: Wanderers given 14 days to seal deal as Shakers EXPELLED from Football League – latest updates – The Sun
BURY have been EXPELLED from the Football League as Bolton Wanderers continue to fight for their survival.
The League One sides had been given until 5pm on Tuesday to find new ownership and prove finances or face expulsion from the league.
- The deadline passed but both clubs had parties interested in saving them
- News broke after 11pm last night that Bury have now been EXPELLED from the Football League
- Football Ventures are closing in on a deal to save Bolton
- Deadline passed 5pm, Tues 27 Aug
Follow all of the latest updates below…
BURY captain Neil Danns said the club's expulsion from the English Football League had “destroyed lives”.
Asked if he had a message for owner Steve Dale, Danns told talkSPORT radio: “I would say look what you've done.
“This should never have happened. If you thought you could not move this club forward in a positive way you should never have taken over because you've literally destroyed lives, because that's what this football club meant to so many fans.”
He added that “serious questions have got to be asked” about what had happened.
“When you see the devastation of the fans I just think I have to say something,” he said. “It's unbelievable. I still can't believe it.”
THE eyes of the Bolton supporters will be on the club's administrators today to see if they follow through in their threat to begin liquidation proceedings.
The club have been given 14 days to prove to the EFL they have the finances to see out the League One season or they will follow Bury in being expelled.
And last week the administrator warned if the Tuesday deadline was not met, he would begin the process of closing down the club today because it is not a going concern.
There is still hope a buyer can be found, but will the administrator give those parties more time or will he decide that purely as a business, the time has come to close it down?
The EFL statement on Bolton reads: “Despite further exchanges with the Administrators over the course of the Bank Holiday weekend, and right up until today’s deadline of 5pm, a resolution to ongoing impasse in negotiations regarding a completion of sale at Bolton Wanderers has not yet been found.
“The EFL Board has therefore taken the decision to lift the suspension on the notice of withdrawal, which was issued as per the EFL’s insolvency policy when the Club entered administration in May 2019.
“As per the League’s Articles of Association, this will now give the Club 14 days (11.59pm on 12 September, 2019) to meet all outstanding requirements of the League’s insolvency policy or its membership in the EFL will be withdrawn.”
Amid the chaos at Bury, Bolton have been given a further 14 days to satisfy the EFL insolvency policy or they will be expelled too.
The EFL statement in full as Bury are kicked out of the Football League.
It reads: “The EFL Board met earlier this evening and, after a long and detailed discussion, determined that Bury FC’s membership of the English Football League be withdrawn after the deadline passed at 5pm today (Tuesday 27 August) without a successful resolution.
“Despite repeated requests to its owner Mr Dale over a sustained period of time, the necessary evidence in respect of how the Club would meet its financial commitments, has simply not been provided and, as a result, attentions turned to securing new ownership at the Club.
“At its meeting on 24 August 2019, the Board agreed a short extension to 5pm today (Tuesday 27 August) to enable Mr Dale and the Club to explore the possibility of a proposed sale with C&N Sporting Risk Limited, with Mr Dale having accepted their offer.
“Following due diligence, C&N Sporting Risk Limited opted not to pursue its interest.
“Therefore, having fully considered all available options, including a number of late expressions of interest provided to the EFL, the EFL Board has unanimously determined with enormous regret that Bury’s membership be withdrawn.
“The EFL Board had maintained that there could be no further suspensions to the fixture list and that these ongoing concerns and the integrity of the competition were a significant factor in the decision.
“Recent events have highlighted how decisions taken at Bury FC over the last few seasons have caused the Club and individuals close to it significant financial distress and there are a number of matters which, in our view, will require further investigation.
“League One will now comprise of 23 Clubs for the remainder of the campaign and relegation places in the division reduced to three, which will result in a full complement of 24 Clubs in 2020/21. A discussion will take place with EFL Clubs on the consequential impact in League Two when Clubs next meet in September 2019.”
Source: Read Full Article