CANELO ALVAREZ is back in light-heavyweight action as he challenges WBA world titleholder Dmitry Bivol in Las Vegas.
The Mexican was last in the ring in November, when he knocked out Caleb Plant in the 11th round to win the undisputed super-middleweight titles.
But now Alvarez is challenging at 175lbs again, where he last campaigned at in November 2019 against Sergey Kovalev, winning the WBO strap in the process.
Bivol represents a tougher task than Kovalev, however, as he's a much fresher fighter with some solid wins, including Joe Smith Jr and Jean Pascal, on his record.
The Russian beat Umar Salamov on points in his last outing over four months ago.
Against Alvarez, Bivol will need to be on his A-game, especially with the huge fanbase Canelo will bring to the T-Mobile Arena in Vegas.
Fury the ‘No.1 star’ in boxing ahead of Canelo and Joshua after Whyte KO
Canelo Alvarez body transformation may not be all natural, claims Atlas
When is Canelo vs Bivol?
- Canelo Alvarez's big clash with Dmitry Bivol will take place on Saturday, May 7.
- The fight will be held at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- There will be around 20,000 fans in attendance for the huge match-up.
What channel is it and can it be live streamed?
- Alvarez vs Bivol will be shown live on DAZN in the UK.
- You can subscribe to DAZN for £7.99-a-month.
- The event is available to live stream from the DAZN app, which you can download onto your mobile or tablet device.
- Expect the main event ring-walks to begin at around 4.30am UK time.
Canelo vs Bivol FULL CARD
Canelo and Bivol are headlining the card, but Matchroom have also put on a heavyweight title eliminator in Filip Hrgovic vs Zhilei Zhang.
Prospects Marc Castro and Alexis Espino are also in action.
- Canelo Alvarez vs Dmitry Bivol – WBA light heavyweight title
- Filip Hrgovic vs Zhilei Zhang
- Montana Love vs Gabriel Gollaz Valenzuela
- Shakhram Giyasov vs Christian Gomez
- Joselito Velazquez vs Jose Soto
- Alexis Espino vs Aaron Silva
- Marc Castro vs Pedro Vicente Scharbaai
- Elnur Abduraimov vs Manuel Correa
- Fernando Angel Molina vs Ricardo Valdovinos
Most read in Boxing
Fury 'back to reality' as he takes the BINS out in plush Morecambe home
Fury buys celebratory McDonald's in Rolls-Royce after beating Whyte
Whyte slams Fury for 'illegal' move and blames referee for defeat
Man Utd ready to host Fury's undisputed bout with Joshua or Usyk
JOIN SUN VEGAS: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100s OF GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (Ts&Cs apply)
What has been said?
Canelo said: “[Dmitry’s] a really good boxer. He’s a solid champion at 175. It’s a dangerous fight. I like it, I love that kind of challenge.
"I really like it. But, I believe in my abilities, and I’m strong too. So, I’m confident in that, but it’s gonna be a really good fight.
“I like the idea to be undisputed at 175. That’s what I like, but you never know.”
Bivol has said: “Canelo can spar against aliens and that doesn’t change anything.
“I’ve also done it with cruiserweights or heavyweights as well. The truth is, it doesn’t matter in the least, because in the end it’s just sparring.
“I will try my best to make a good fight.
“I will try to win and I trust all my skills to make it a great fight for everyone out there.”
Source: Read Full Article