Lionel Messi votes for Cristiano Ronaldo in Fifa's The Best award but the Juventus star snubs rival
Messi and Ronaldo both voted for the player of the year award as they are captains for Argentina and Portugal respectively.
And the Barcelona ace voted for Luka Modric in first, Kylian Mbappe second and then Ronaldo.
But Ronaldo went for three World Cup finalists, two of which are former Real Madrid team-mates.
He opted for Raphael Varane, Modric and Antoine Griezmann with his three votes.
The first pick receives five points, second gets three and third picks up one.
And the award is chosen by the captain, head coach and a journalist from each Fifa nation as well as the general public's votes.
As Croatia captain, Modric mirrored Ronaldo's choices and went for Varane, Ronaldo and Griezmann.
Messi and Ronaldo have famously opted against voting for one another in previous years.
But the Argentina ace could not ignore his rival's excellent season last year as he helped Real Madrid to a third-successive Champions League crown and picked two of Real Madrid's side from last season.
Modric picked up the gong at London's Royal Festival Hall with 29 per cent of the vote with Ronaldo receiving 19 per cent and third-placed Mohamed Salah earning 11 per cent of the votes.
Salah did, however, take home the Puskas award for his goal against Everton at Anfield, beating the over-head kicks of Ronaldo and Gareth Bale in the Champions League.
But despite being in the running for the player of the year award, Salah did not make the world XI while goalkeeper of the year Thibaut Courtois was pipped by David De Gea between the sticks.
Fifa's The Best player of the year selected captains' votes
- Lionel Messi (Argentina): 1st Luka Modric, 2nd Kylian Mbappe, 3rd Cristiano Ronaldo
- Eden Hazard (Belgium): 1st Luka Modric, 2nd Raphael Varane, 3rd Kylian Mbappe
- Luka Modric (Croatia): 1st Raphael Varane, 2nd Cristiano Ronaldo, 3rd Antoine Griezmann
- Harry Kane (England): 1st Cristiano Ronaldo, 2nd Lionel Messi, 3rd Kevin De Bruyne
- Hugo Lloris (France): 1st Raphael Varane, 2nd Antoine Griezmann, 3rd Kylian Mbappe
- Manuel Neuer (Germany): 1st Eden Hazard, 2nd Luka Modric, 3rd Raphael Varane
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal): 1st Raphael Varane, 2nd Luka Modric, 3rd Antoine Griezmann
- Sergio Ramos (Spain): 1st Luka Modric, 2nd Cristiano Ronaldo, 3rd Lionel Messi
Source: Read Full Article