Raheem Sterling WILL return to England's World Cup base on Friday

BREAKING NEWS: England confirm Raheem Sterling WILL return to their World Cup base in Qatar on Friday and re-join the squad after flying home to tend to his family following burglary at his £6m mansion

  • Raheem Sterling returned to the UK following a break-in at his family home
  • The England winger is now going to return to the World Cup and rejoin squad 
  • Three Lions take on France in huge quarter-final clash this Saturday 
  • It remains to be seen what part Sterling will have to play against Les Bleus 
  • Follow Sportsmail’s live blog throughout the day for the latest news from Qatar 

Raheem Sterling will return to England’s World Cup base in Qatar tomorrow, the FA have confirmed. 

The winger, who was shaken by the incident, had returned home to tend to his family following a burglary at his £6million mansion in Surrey.  

A statement read: ‘The Chelsea forward temporarily left to attend to a family matter but is now expected to rejoin the squad in Al Wakrah on Friday (9 December) ahead of the quarter-final with France.’

Raheem Sterling is set to return to England’s World Cup training base on Friday  

Thieves broke into the father of three’s £6million gated home in Surrey on Saturday night

It remains to be seen whether Sterling will play a part for Gareth Southgate’s side in their massive World Cup quarter-final clash with France on Saturday evening.  

Police were contacted around 9pm on Saturday, December 3 after Sterling’s partner Paige returned to find ‘a number of items including jewellery and watches’ had been stolen.

A neighbour told MailOnline that they were convinced Sterling’s break-in was an ‘inside job’ as she revealed how a string of builders and removal vans had been at the house.

She said: ‘I came back from an overnight flight on Saturday night just after 9pm and the police were outside. The estate WhatsApp group lit up and we all knew very quick it was a break-in and thankfully no one was hurt.’

Private security have been patrolling the estate in Surrey (picture taken on Monday morning) 

Harry Maguire (pictured) has spoken out in solidarity with fellow England star Sterling following a burglary at the player’s Surrey estate

England defender Maguire spoke of his frustration over the incident.

He said: ‘We’re out here giving everything and at home people are attacking us. 

‘It is really disappointing to hear that Raheem has had to go home and get things done. We haven’t had time to talk to him, because our full focus was on the match.

‘The match could have gone differently because we lost Raheem. It is disappointing to lose him because of something out of our hands. We are all here for him.

‘It is extremely disappointing to hear that we are out here and give absolutely everything to our country, and then there are people at home attacking us.’

And Gareth Southgate said he would put no pressure on Sterling to return before he was comfortable. It is understood that the 27-year-old is now content that his family are safe and is ready to rejoin the squad. 

Sources close to Sterling had indicated on Sunday that armed intruders had broken into Sterling’s home while his family were inside, but an updated statement issued by Surrey Police said the occupants of the house were not present during the burglary and that there was no evidence at this point of armed intruders or threats of violence being involved.

Sterling is among dozens of top-flight footballers who have had their homes targeted by thieves

‘We are currently investigating a report of a burglary at an address in Oxshott, Leatherhead,’ the statement read.

‘On Saturday, December 3 the occupants returned to the address after arriving home from an international trip.

‘They contacted police just before 9pm to report a number of items of jewellery, including watches, had been stolen. Officers attended the address later that night and returned to speak to the occupants this morning.

‘At this time it remains unclear on which date the property was stolen and establishing this forms a key part of our investigation.

‘Enquiries into the full circumstances remain ongoing and officers will look at all available evidence including any CCTV opportunities.’

Sterling is among dozens of top-flight footballers who have had their homes targeted by thieves.

Several Manchester United players have been victims, with Tahith Chong, Victor Lindelof and Jesse Lingard all having break-ins early this year.

Security experts have warned that footballers’ widely known schedules and obvious wealth increase the risk of their homes being targeted.

Sterling was last targeted in 2018 when he played for Manchester City and lived in Cheshire. But the gang were scared away when the alarm system was activated and left empty-handed. 




Share this article

Source: Read Full Article