IT HAS been a year full of sporting drama but how closely were you paying attention?
Here, SunSport’s DAVE BROMAGE tests your knowledge with his fiendishly tricky sports quiz of 2021 . . .
- Which League Two side came close to knocking Manchester City out of January’s FA Cup fourth round before conceding three goals in the last nine minutes?
a) Cheltenham Town
b) Newport County
c) Scunthorpe United
d) Exeter City
- Which team ended Liverpool’s 68-game unbeaten Premier League home run in January, sparking six straight Anfield defeats for Jurgen Klopp’s side?
c) West Brom
d) Manchester City
- Which top-flight manager got a red card in January for asking the fourth official: “Did you get juggling balls for Christmas?”
a) Pep Guardiola
b) Jose Mourinh
c) Sean Dyche
d) Dean Smith
- Who in February won a record seventh Super Bowl?
a) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
b) New England Patriots
c) Pittsburgh Steelers
d) Tom Brady
- The Boat Race was not held on the Thames this year. On what river did Oxford and Cambridge race instead?
c) Great Ouse
- Jordan Brown defied odds of 750-1 to win a title in what?
- Which player scored an own goal, conceded a penalty and got sent off in Southampton’s 9-0 defeat to Manchester United?
a) Alexandre Jankewitz
b) Jannik Vestergaard
c) Kyle Walker-Peters
d) Jan Bednarek.
- Before 2021, which of the following HAD happened within the last 40 years?
a) Scotland’s rugby union team beating England at Twickenham
b) An American golfer scoring a maximum five points in the Ryder Cup
c) A Brit woman winning a tennis Grand Slam tournament
d) England’s men’s football team netting ten goals in a game
- Who said: “I don’t feel male or female right now. I don’t even feel human.”?
- Which interim manager became the first man under 30 to take charge of a Premier League side?
- What happened the day after Salford lifted the EFL Trophy?
a) They broke lockdown rules with an open-top bus ride
b) Sunderland lifted the EFL Trophy
c) Manager Richie Wellens was sacked
d) Gary Neville got a tattoo of the Papa John’s logo
- Hull KR’s Ben Crooks did what seven seconds into April’s Super League match with Huddersfield?
a) Scored a try
b) Got sent off
c) Ruptured a testicle
d) Kicked the ball into a spectator’s face
- Who missed the penalty which saw Manchester United lose the Europa League final to Villarreal?
- Who became the oldest winner of a golf Major with victory in the USPGA at the age of 50?
- Christian Eriksen collapsed on the pitch in Denmark’s Euro 2020 opener — against which side?
- Who gave England an early lead in the Euro 2020 final . . . before Italy came back to equalise and win on penalties?
- Who tweeted this . . . and in reply to whom? “You don’t get to stoke the fire at the beginning of the tournament by labelling our anti-racism message as ‘Gesture Politics’ & then pretend to be disgusted when the very thing we’re campaigning against, happens.”
- Name the Team GB star who said: “Olympics? Completed it!”
a) Adam Peaty
b) Jason Kenny
c) Tom Daley
d) Jonny Brownlee
- Charlotte Worthington won Olympic gold in the BMX freestyle. What trick did she pull off in the final that had never before been landed in competition by a woman?
a) 360 backflip
b) 180 bikeflip
c) 540 cab
d) reverse ninja drop
- Jason and Laura Kenny both had golden summers in Tokyo — how many Olympic gold medals do they now have between them?
- Who did Mark Allen face in the British Open snooker?
a) His brother
b) His cousin
c) His ex
d) His coach
- London Spirit, Welsh Fire and Birmingham Phoenix are all teams in which sport?
a) Ice Hockey
- What did Georgian tennis ace Mariam Bolkvadze do at the US Open that nobody else managed?
- Which Paralympic swimmer said: “I remember saying, ‘If I have to crawl to the block on my hands and knees, I’ll do it’. I’m just so proud of myself for getting this far as I’ve been in agony this whole year. And this is a story of triumph. This is not a story of defeat.”?
a) Ellie Simmonds
b) Ellie Robinson
c) Maisie Summers-Newton
d) Bethany Firth
- Who complained: “The toilet’s right there. What’s he doing in there? It’s never once taken me that long to go to the toilet ever.”?
- Ben Stokes pulled out of the T20 World Cup on mental health grounds but England still had in their squad a Christ Church-born medium-fast bowler who emigrated to the UK as a teenager. Name him.
- Max Verstappen pipped Lewis Hamilton to the Formula One world title. In which of these grands prix this season did the two NOT crash into each other?
a) Saudi Arabian
- Which 2021 sports star links a vine of the genus Lonicera, the first line of Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga’s hit Shallow, and the last victim of Billy The Kid?
- Apart from being ex-Olympians, what in 2021 linked Indian wrestler Sushil Kumar, Aussie kayaker Nathan Baggaley, Aussie swimmer Scott Miller and US swimmer Klete Keller?
- Toronto-born Emma Raducanu won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award. Apart from Lewis Hamilton, who was the last English-born winner of SPOTY?
a) Ryan Giggs
b) Joe Calzaghe
c) Zara Tindall
d) Bradley Wiggins
Most read in Sport
Hamilton WILL retire after Abu Dhabi controversy, says Bernie Ecclestone
Ex Premier League star ordered to pay £22,400 to man who found his dog
Lewis Hamilton unfollows EVERYBODY on Instagram amid retirement speculation
Man Utd Treble winner looks unrecognisable with long hair and beard
FREE BETS: GET OVER £2,000 IN NEW CUSTOMER DEALS
And here are the answers…
1. a) Cheltenham
2. a) Burnley
3. d) Dean Smith
4. d) Tom Brady – he’s won more Super Bowls than any team (six for the Patriots and now one for Tampa);
5. c) Great Ouse
6. a) Snooker. The world No81 won the Welsh Open
7. d) Bednarek – he was the first Prem player to achieve that unwanted hat-trick
8. a) Scotland’s previous win at Twickenham was 38 years ago. Dustin Johnson’s full house of five Ryder Cup points was the first by an American since 1979, the last British woman to win a Slam before Emma Raducanu was Virginia Wade in 1977, and England’s 10-0 win over San Marino was the first time they hit double figures since 1964 v the USA
9. Rachael Blackmore, after winning the Grand National
10. Ryan Mason, who took temporary charge of Tottenham
11. b) Sunderland lifted the 2020-21 EFL Trophy the day after Salford had won the delayed 2019-20 final. Gary Neville sacked manager Richie Wellens in the week BEFORE the final
12. a) Scored a try – the fastest in Super League history
13. David De Gea
14. Phil Mickelson
16. Luke Shaw
17. Tyrone Mings to Priti Patel
18. d) Jonny Brownlee
19. a) 360 backflip
20. c) 12 (Jason seven, Laura five)
21. c) His ex, Reanne Evans
22. b) Cricket, in The Hundred
23. She won five games in a set against Emma Raducanu
24. b) Ellie Robinson
25. Andy Murray (about Stefanos Tsitsipas)
26. Chris Jordan (Christ Church in Barbados)
27. d) Russian
28. Honeysuckle, Telmesomethinggirl and Bob Olinger were all horses ridden to victory at Cheltenham by Rachael Blackmore
29. They were all in court this year (facing respective charges of murder, drug smuggling, running a drugs ring, and storming the US Capitol)
30. b) Famous Welshman Joe Calzaghe, who was born in London. Apart from Stevenage-born Hamilton, Spoty’s winners since 2007 have been born in Edinburgh, Cardiff, Moneyglass in Northern Ireland, Douglas on the Isle of Man, Ghent in Belgium, Glasgow, Mogadishu in Somalia, Christchurch in New Zealand and now Toronto, Canada. The ten winners between 1998 and 2007 were all born in England.
Source: Read Full Article