Victor Cruz sets deadline to accept that it’s over
There is now an end in sight for Victor Cruz’s career.
The former Giants wide receiver, who hasn’t stepped on the field since the 2016 season, is still training in hopes of an NFL comeback this fall. But he has also set an undisclosed date that if he isn’t on a team by then, he will retire.
“Once that deadline comes, if nothing has happened, I’ll hang them up,” Cruz told ESPN Tuesday at the BTIG Charity Day event in Manhattan. “Probably around training camp time and then we’ll go from there.”
Cruz said he received some interest from teams prior to last month’s NFL draft, but hasn’t heard anything serious since then.
After spending the first seven years of his career with the Giants and recording 303 catches for 4,549 yards and 25 touchdowns, Cruz was out of the league last season. He signed with the Bears, but was cut after training camp.
The 31-year-old New Jersey native is still hoping for one last shot.
“I just love the game. I think I can still play,” Cruz said. “I don’t want to exhaust all of that before I fall off.”
Cruz has made no secret that he would be up for a Giants reunion. He made his pitch again last month after they cut veteran wide out Brandon Marshall, writing on Twitter, “I heard there’s a job opening at wide receiver in New York…”
The undrafted free agent turned Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champ has battled injuries in recent years that have derailed his career. A torn patellar tendon in his right knee cut his 2014 season short before a nagging calf injury led to surgery that forced him to miss all of 2015.
Source: Read Full Article