Alfie Lamb's mum's boyfriend finally admits killing boy, 3, in 'fit of childish temper' in car seat crush

A TWISTED thug has finally admitted crushing his girlfriend's three-year-old son to death in the footwell of a car because he wouldn't stop crying.

Little Alfie Lamb died in a "matter of minutes" in Stephen Waterson's Audi A4 in February 2018 after the thug flew into a "fit of childish temper".

As the youngster sobbed for his "mummy", snarling Waterson told him "'I'm not being told what to do by a three-year-old" before again slamming his chair back.

Alfie, who weighed two-and-a-half stone and was just over three feet tall, was crushed in a 9.5cm gap with 12 stone of weight on his tiny body in the first case of it kind.

Waterson has now pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to the manslaughter by gross negligence today after a trial earlier this year saw jurors unable to reach a verdict.

He has also admitted perverting the course of justice and being convicted of intimidating a witness and will be sentenced on Monday.

Alfie's mum Adrian Hoare is currently serving two years in prison after being found guilty of child cruelty in February.


The couple had gone shopping for cushions in Sutton, accompanied by Alfie, Emilie Williams, 19, Marcus Lamb, 22, and another young child in February last year.

Jurors were shown CCTV of Alfie running to keep up with his mum moments before he was put in the car for the journey back to Croydon, south London.

Waterson had become annoyed at Alfie's crying and twice moved his front passenger seat into him as he sat at his mother's feet.

The maximum space in the foot well was 30cm, and, at the touch of a button, that could be reduced to just 9.5cm.

Terrified Alfie screamed for his "mummy" but Hoare just slapped him and told him to "shut up" as Waterson shoved his seat back.

By the time they arrived home, the boy, who had previously travelled in the footwell, had collapsed and stopped breathing.

Alfie, nicknamed "Little Tarzan" by his mum and Waterson, died from crush asphyxia three days later with injuries similar to those seen in a car crash.


Waterson, the adoptive son of former Tory cabinet minister Nigel Waterson, originally claimed he had no idea how Alfie died but insisted it had nothing to do with the car seat.

Both he and Hoare cooked up a web of lies to cover their tracks after Alfie's death – with Waterson threatening to "get rid" of anyone who revealed the truth.

Hoare then lied to cops about what happened – claiming he went "floppy" after they were given a lift home in a friend's car.

She also tried telling emergency crews they had got in a taxi before changing her story, while "arrogant" Waterson tried to exploit his "powerful parents" to make himself "untouchable".

Frantic Hoare later text Waterson to say police knew they were lying – with the chilling truth later emerging.

Hoare eventually broke her silence and told her half sister Ashleigh Jeffrey what happened in a taped conversation handed to cops.

When officers searched the flat where the couple lived with Alfie, they found two children's car seats which could have saved his life.

Prosecutor Duncan Atkinson QC previously told jurors both Waterson and Hoare played a part in Alfie's death, saying Hoare "fundamentally and fatally" failing to act.

Angela Moriarty, from the CPS, said: “This was a cruel and heartless act against a defenceless young child.

“Alfie Lamb had been alive and well earlier in the day when he had been out shopping in Sutton. It was in the car journey back home that Waterson, with a callous disregard to Alfie’s safety, deliberately pushed his car seat back.

“Alfie had been subjected to up to 81kg of weight in a 9.5cm gap resulting in catastrophic injuries which proved to be fatal.

“This was a harrowing and difficult case for all those involved, but finally justice has been served for Alfie.”

Source: Read Full Article