Baby suffers horrific burns after pouring boiling hot tea over herself

A couple were left traumatised after their baby daughter suffered horrific burns after accidentally pouring boiling hot tea over herself.

Lee Howard and Callie Baxendale described the "worst evening of our lives" when 17-month-old Graci-Lee had to be airlifted to hospital.

The horror, described as "every parent’s nightmare come true", happened around 6pm on Monday evening.

Recalling the panicked moments after her daughter suffered burns, Callie told Devon Live : "I ripped her clothes off her body straight away, down to her nappy where her skin started to peel straight away.

"Lee’s mum then got us in the shower and just blasted us with cold water.

"I stood fully clothed holding Graci-Lee whilst we were soaked in cold water until the first response arrived. They kept us in the shower until the paramedics arrived, who took over and stood in the shower with her for longer."

Callie sat with her daughter wrapped in cling film and a towel until the Devon Air Ambulance arrived to airlift the tot from Ilfracombe to Bristol Children’s Hospital

She said: "They made the decision that we were going to Bristol as Graci-Lee’s chest soon came out in large blisters.

"Within this time Lee had returned from work and was on the scene also. The ambulance transported us to the Air Ambulance helicopter which had landed in the field next to Ilfracombe Football Club.

"I have never been so scared in my life, but I knew we were in fantastic hands."

While Callie and Graci-Lee were airlifted to Bristol Children’s Hospital, Lee made his way there in his car.

Callie said: "We arrived at Bristol at 7.45pm after about 30 minutes in the air.

"We were met by four men and women and two porters who were supposed to finish at 7pm but stayed on and waited for us to arrive.

"The staff and pilot were beyond outstanding and really don’t get enough credit for what they do. They made me feel so at ease whilst I had Graci-Lee strapped to me on route.

"They were so patient and amazing during what was probably the most scariest time in our lives."

Graci-Lee was treated at the hospital and stayed overnight before being allowed to return home the following day.

Callie said: "Our Gorgeous Graci-Lee has come away with some very nasty burns but we’re hopefully along with the surgeons that there will be no scarring. At the end of the day she is okay, that’s all that matters.

"Thank you will never be enough! We’d also like to thank the out-of-this-world nurses, doctors, plastic surgeons and childcare staff of Bristol Children’s Hospital – all amazing in what they do every day for children. Outstanding!

"So thankful for our NHS, it is not appreciated enough."

Source: Read Full Article