BBC stops using ‘Megxit’ term after Prince Harry complains it’s ‘misogynistic’

The second episode of the BBC’s controversial royal family documentary Princes and the Press is set for broadcast on Monday, November 29.

But programme-makers are editing the show right up until the last moment; partly to take in the latest developments in Meghan Markle’s legal action against the Mail on Sunday case, and partly – it seems – to remove the offensive term “Megxit”.

Prince Harry had already made his dislike of the term clear when he spoke on a panel entitled the "Internet lie machine” at the RE:WIRED conference on November 9.

He said said that using "Megxit" – to describe his and Meghan’s decision to stand down as working members of the Royal family – was a "misogynistic term" coined by online trolls and amplified by the media.

Harry said: "Maybe people know this and maybe they don’t, but the term Megxit was or is a misogynistic term, and it was created by a troll, amplified by royal correspondents, and it grew and grew and grew into mainstream media. But it began with a troll."

So tomorrow night’s episode of The Princes and the Press, will instead use the much less common term “Sussexit” to describe the “circumstances around the decision of the Sussexes to step down from their senior royal roles”.

The Duchess of Sussex’s lawyer Jenny Afia is expected to appear in the hour-long programme, which is set to cover the tumultuous period from 2018 to 2021, including the birth of Archie Mountbatten-Windsor and royal tours of the Cambridges and Sussexes.

Stay in the loop with all the latest Daily Star news by signing up for one of our free newsletters here.

  • Prince Harry 'declared war' on press that Meghan didn't want, says commentator

It’s also likely to include coverage of the Martin Bashir scandal, in which the BBC man was found to have faked documents in order to persuade Princess Diana to give him an exclusive interview.

The Princes and the Press has not been well-received by the royal family. A Buckingham Palace source has dismissed the programme as “overblown and unfounded”

A Palace spokesperson was asked by the BBC to comment on certain allegations made in the show, but declined because no previews were available.

  • Queen, Charles and William threaten BBC boycott over 'tittle tattle' Royal documentary

Instead a joint statement from Buckingham Palace, Clarence House and Kensington Palace said: “A free, responsible and open press is of vital importance to a healthy democracy.

"However, too often it is overblown and unfounded claims from unnamed sources that are presented as facts and it is disappointing when anyone, including the BBC, gives them credibility."

The BBCs royal correspondent, Nicholas Witchell, admitted that the royals had been annoyed by the BBC show.

He said: "There is undoubtedly irritation in the Royal households, but especially at Kensington Palace and especially on the part of Prince William".

Prince William has reportedly said he would have to "seriously consider" dealing with the corporation in future.

A BBC spokesperson said: “The programme is about how royal journalism is done and features a range of journalists from broadcast and the newspaper industry.”

Source: Read Full Article