British journalist, 31, shot dead on documentary trip after armed robbers opened fire on truck as cops hunt killers

A BRITISH journalist was shot dead on a documentary trip after armed robbers opened fire on a truck as cops continue to hunt the killers.

Syed Taalay Ahmed, from Hartlepool, was tragically killed by gunmen in Ghana whilst on a filming mission for the London-based MTA International Television station.

On August 23, Taalay Ahmed’s car was ambushed by gunmen who shot at the vehicle in an attempted robbery.

The journalist, 31, and his colleague were returning from a filming session for a documentary he had travelled to Ghana for. 

Taalay Ahmed and Umaru Abdul Hakim were both tragically hit by the bullets in the rampage.

The gunmen ran away with some of their possessions and a sum of money taken from the journalists.
They were both rushed to the nearby clinic – where they were given first-aid, before being transferred to the Tamale Teaching Hospital for further treatment.

Syed Taalay Ahmed was sadly pronounced dead a while later.

The dad-of-two young kids grew up in the North East of England in Hartlepool – and leaves behind his wife and family.

After completing his masters in journalism from Sunderland University, Taalay started his career and was described as a "bright and creative journalist."

He worked on a number of documentaries – ranging from football to faith.

MTA News described Ahmed as a “devoted and sincere… and much-loved member” of its team who “produced a series of faith-inspiring documentaries and programmes."

“We will miss him every day and strive to build up on the great work he did,” it said.

Whilst in Ghana, he was working for a global television channel, MTA International, on a documentary that highlighted the charity works conducted by the Ahmadiyya Muslim community. 

A press release signed by the Ghanian Police said that six suspects were allegedly involved in some robberies and murder cases along the highway in which Taalay Ahmed was targeted.

Two of the suspects were killed in a police encounter.

The police have also arrested four other people, suspected of being involved in the murder of the British Journalist. 

His body is being flown back to the UK on September 1.

    Source: Read Full Article