Car explodes with boy, 10, inside after man used vehicle cigarette lighter

A car exploded with a 10-year-old boy inside after a man inside the vehicle used a cigarette lighter which ignited gas from a button refill cartridge.

Police raced to the scene in Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire, following reports of an explosion inside a car at around 12.30pm.

Two people were inside the vehicle at the time of the incident, a man and a 10-year-old boy who was rushed to hospital.

Cleckheaton Fire Station said the man in the car accidentally ignited butane gas when he went to use a cigarette lighter.

The man is believed to of suffered minor burns as a result of the incident and the boy suffered minor non-life threatening injuries.

Cleckheaton Fire Station said: "There were two men in the car and one of them has accidentally ignited some of the gas in the car from a lighter refills cartridge which has caused a minor flash.

"The passenger in the Peugeot 206 convertible was treated by the ambulance service before the fire service arrived.

“Injuries are unknown."

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service conducted a full fire investigation which confirmed the prognosis.

Officers are yet to interview the man inside the vehicle but he has been arrested in connection with the incident.

Read More

Today's Top Stories

  • Irish gangsters copying Mexican cartels
  • Wayne Lineker's Ibiza club sued
  • Meghan and Harry's Hollywood talks
  • Bikini model cop shot dead

Detective Inspector Sarah Lambert of Kirklees CID, said; “We are conducting a number of enquiries into this incident and have arrested a man in connection with what took place.

“While enquiries to determine the precise cause of what was damage to the car and the injuries are underway, we very much believe this was an isolated incident.

“Anyone present on the street at the time who witnessed what took place is asked to contact Kirklees CID on 101.”

Daily Star Online has approached West Yorkshire Police for comment.

Source: Read Full Article