Batches of a children’s blackcurrant cough syrup which have the potential to grow mould have been taken off supermarket shelves.
Authorities are warning families to urgently return the cough syrups to the shop from which they were bought.
One of the ingredients in the medicines could cause them to grow to mould, which would make children very unwell or cause reactions.
Affected products include some own-brand syrups from Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, Superdrug, Wilko and Tesco.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said only "a small number" of batches from eight different products are being recalled and no other cough syrups are affected.
"Check if you have any of the listed cough syrups and if you do, please don’t use them, take them back to where you bought them from," said the MHRA’s Dr Sam Atkinson.
"The mould is not always visible, so return any of the affected cough syrup bottles, even if it looks okay to use.
"If your child has recently taken one of these cough syrups and, in the unlikely event that they have become unwell or had a reaction, please speak to your GP, pharmacist or other healthcare professional.
"Our highest priority is making sure the medicines you and your family take are safe. This is why, even though there is a low risk of a reaction, we have asked the company to carry out this recall and why we want people to check their medicine cabinets."
The list of affected products are:
- Asda’s Children’s Dry Cough Syrup Glycerol Blackcurrant Flavour, batch numbers 274V1, 276V1, 278V1, 283W1, with the expiry dates 01/08/2020 01/10/2020, 001/12/2020, 01/02/2020.
- Bell’s Healthcare Children’s Dry Cough Glycerin 0.75g/5ml Syrup, batch number 280V3, with the expiry date 01/12/2020.
- Morrisons Children’s Dry Tickly Cough Glycerin 0.75g/5ml Oral Solution, batch number 282W1, with the expiry date 01/01/2021.
- Numark Children’s Dry Cough 0.75 g/5 ml Oral Solution, batch numbers 280V1, 288W1, with the expiry dates 01/12/2020 and 01/04/2021
- Sainsbury’s Children’s Dry Cough 0.75g/5ml Syrup, batch number 275V1, with the expiry date 01/09/2020.
- Superdrug Children’s Dry Tickly Cough Glycerin 0.75 g/5 ml Oral Solution, batch numbers 280V2, 284W1, with the expiry dates 01/12/2020, 01/03/2021.
- Tesco Children’s Dry Cough Syrup, batch numbers 277V1, 278V2, 281W1, with the expiry dates 01/10/2020, 01/12/2020, 01/01/2021.
- Wilko Tickly Cough 0.75g/5ml Oral Solution, batch number 275V2, with the expiry date 01/09/2020.
Source: Read Full Article