Dad’s remark about fiancée’s exes hours before she stabbed him to death

A dad-of-four called his fiancée a "slut" and asked her about her exes hours before she stabbed him to death, court papers show.

David Walsh, 29, made the remark to his wife-to-be, Cathrina “Tina” Cahill, in Sydney, Australia, after a row broke out between them.

He is said to have asked the 27-year-old Irishwoman: "How many exes have you had you slut?", prompting her to tell him to "cop on".

It was later that night that he was knifed in the neck by Cahill – to whom he had been engaged for just weeks – at their home in the city.

The papers reveal the defendant said Mr Walsh "needed to be taught a lesson" moments before she stabbed him, the Irish Mirror reports.

The killing occurred shortly after Mr Walsh started attacking another man whom Cahill and their two female housemates had arrived back with after meeting him at a hotel, according to the papers.

Cahill has admitted killing Mr Walsh on the night of February 17 last year, only weeks after he popped the question on New Year’s Eve.

She was originally charged with murder over the incident.

However, prosecutors accepted her plea to the less serious charge of manslaughter on the basis of substantial impairment.

It was accepted the woman, from County Wexford, was suffering from PTSD as a result of the abusive and violent nature of her relationship.

A 19-page statement of agreed facts submitted to New South Wales Supreme Court this week outlines the explosive events leading up to Cahill stabbing her fiancé to death with a large-bladed knife.

She told police who arrived at the scene: “I stabbed him”.

But the next morning, she told cops “my mind has gone blank” and she couldn’t remember picking up the blade and killing the dad.

The court document describes in detail how the night of the killing unfolded and how Friday after-work drinks descended into death.

The couple started the night at popular Irish hang-out the Cock ‘N’ Bull bar in Bondi Junction with their friends Grace Keegan and Melissa Sinnott, later moving to the Doncaster Hotel.

But a row broke out between Cahill and Mr Walsh after Ms Sinnott commented how attractive Tina’s ex-boyfriend was.

Mr Walsh became angry and started to aggravate Cahill, calling her a “bike”. She grew angry and told him to “f*** off”.

Mr Walsh then asked her about her exes and called her a "sl**’, to which she replied: "“Cop on Davey and don’t talk to me like that.”

According to the document, Cahill went out for a cigarette and Mr Walsh followed her outside, where they continued to argue.

When they came back inside, Mr Walsh was “annoyed and frustrated,” he got off his seat and said “f*** this” and stormed off.

Cahill, Ms Sinnott and Ms Keegan followed him out.

However, he refused to get in the car with them.

The women headed back to their Padstow home at 8pm, changed clothes, locked the house and walked to the Padstow Park Hotel.

At the hotel, they met a man called Matthew Hyde after he introduced himself and bought them a round of drinks. He joined them for the rest of the evening and told police he was “keen” on Ms Keegan.

The court papers show Mr Walsh went to the Coach And Horses Hotel at Randwick at 8.33pm, where he got into a fight with an Irishman.

Security rushed over and separated the pair, before Mr Walsh was escorted from the hotel.

The Irishman, Richard Lindsay, went to A&E where he received four stitches to his face and four stitches to the back of his head.

Cahill and her friends, who were still at the Padstow Park Hotel, started to receive a number of calls and text messages from Mr Walsh.

At 11.39pm, Ms Keegan received text messages with three photos from the young man. They showed broken glass on the floor with blood.

Cahill, Ms Sinnott, Ms Keegan and Mr Hyde left the pub shortly before midnight and headed for their house, according to the papers.

When they arrived, the front door was smashed and there was a trail of blood leading from the hallway to the kitchen floor and sitting room.

Mr Walsh was on the couch, with his wrist cut but not bleeding profusely. Mr Hyde asked him: “Hey mate, are you OK?”

He said Mr Walsh’s eyes were open and he mumbled something.

He left him on the couch and joined the women in the kitchen when suddenly Mr Walsh hit him from behind.

He shouted: “Who the f*** are you?” and hit Mr Hyde several times to the face and head with closed fists.

Mr Hyde said: “What the f***! What’s your problem?”.

He fell to the floor and ended up on his back with Mr Walsh on top of him, according to the document.

The construction worker then repeatedly punched him, grabbed him by the hair and tried to smash his head into the floor.

He also bit his face, breaking the skin and causing him to bleed.

One of the women managed to pull Mr Walsh off him.

Everyone was yelling, with Mr Hyde describing it as “chaos”.

The court papers say Mr Walsh was irate, with his body language described as aggressive.

Cahill was screaming out, “Stop it Davey, get off, get off. Cop on. He’s with Grace.”

She tried to grab Mr Walsh’s arms and he swung his arm back, according to the document.

She then fell to the ground.

Cahill moved towards Mr Walsh and punched him in the face with a closed fist, before he pushed her again.

Ms Keegan reportedly saw Mr Walsh try to punch Cahill in the face but didn’t know if he hit her.

Mr Hyde started shouting out: “What the f***! Hitting a girl!”

Mr Walsh then started punching him again.

Cahill got up, holding her head, and walked towards the kitchen. The papers say she was crying hysterically and was “all over the place”.

Ms Keegan and Cahill shouted “call the police”.

Ms Sinnott repeatedly told Cahill to “calm the f*** down", it is said.

However, the defendant opened the cutlery drawer and took out a very large, sharp-bladed knife.

Ms Sinnott told her over and over again “put it back.” This was said quietly so the others would not hear.

She is said to have replied: “No, he needs to be taught a lesson, it’s not fair, look at poor Matthew.”

Ms Sinnott went upstairs to call the police and locked herself in the bathroom.

As she went upstairs, Mr Walsh released his grip on Mr Hyde and Ms Keegan pushed him up against the kitchen wall.

Documents indicate Cahill than walked quickly towards Mr Walsh with the long-bladed knife “fixated on Davey”.

She stabbed Mr Walsh in the neck, with the knife hitting him in the left side of his neck, causing a 4cm stab wound.

Cahill did not say anything and pulled the knife out straight away and dropped it on the floor, according to the papers.

The wound started to bleed profusely, with blood coming out of Mr Walsh’s mouth.

Ms Keegan placed a tea towel on the wound and Mr Walsh shouted: “Call an ambulance, call an ambulance.”

He stumbled away in a daze out of the front of the house.

Ms Sinnott called an ambulance.

When she came downstairs from the bathroom where she had locked herself, Cahill told her: “He’s gone mental Melissa.

"I can’t cope no more. I can’t believe what I just done.”

She repeated: “What have I done. I’m so sorry.”

When police arrived at the scene, they found Mr Walsh on the ground being held in the recovery position by Mr Hyde.

Cahill was sobbing kneeling about two metres away from them.

When they asked what had happened, she reportedly said: “They were fighting and he [Mr Walsh] grabbed a knife and came at him [Mr Hyde].

"I stepped in to help and stabbed him [Mr Walsh]. I stabbed him.”

Shortly after, police noted Mr Walsh had stopped breathing and started CPR.

Paramedics soon arrived and attempted to save the dad, but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 12.55am.

When interviewed by police the next morning at 10am, Cahill told police she couldn’t remember anything about stabbing her fiancé.

She said: “My mind went blank.

"My mind has gone blank, the only thing I remember is sitting out the front shouting call the ambulance, please call the ambulance.

"And then sitting screaming, ‘Please, please save my baby’.”

She told investigators her life had been hell with Mr Walsh for the past six months, he never stopped calling her names and she often wished she was not alive so she wouldn’t have to deal with him.

Cahill will be sentenced next month.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

  • 8 children injured as slide collapses
  • Grenfell support worker had affair
  • Teen beheaded ‘for refusing sex’
  • 3 signs Biblical prophecies coming true

Source: Read Full Article