Egypt hotel where Brit couple stayed before deaths still on major booking sites

A hotel in Egypt where a Brit couple stayed before their tragic deaths is still available to book through a range of popular websites.

John Cooper, 69, and his wife Susan, 63, died on August 21 after staying at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada. John sadly died at the hotel and Susan passed away at a nearby hospital on the same day.

Thomas Cook has today revealed that tests on the food and hygiene standards at the hotel identified a high level of e-coli and staphylococcus bacteria.

The Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel remains on stop sale to Thomas Cook customers until further notice.

But the hotel appears to still be available to book through several other well-known sites – including tripadvisor,, trivago,, and

The sites show pictures of the hotel along with available dates and prices – as with other hotels listed for booking.

Mirror Online has contacted tripadvisor,, trivago,, and for comment.

Thomas Cook today said it is likely that the presence of e-coli and staphylococcus would explain the raised level of illness reported among guests at the hotel during this time, supporting their earlier decision to remove 300 customers.

However, neither their independent specialists nor independent expert Doctor Vanya Gant believe these results shed any light on the still unexplained cause of death of Mr and Mrs Cooper.

The results of the autopsies being conducted by the Egyptian authorities are being awaited.

Thomas Cook said the results showed something went wrong in August at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada though, and that standards fell below what they expect from hotel partners.

Tests were carried out across the hotel after specialists were granted access by Steigenberger Aqua Magic.

However, the specialists were unable to access the Coopers’ hotel room, which has remained under the control of the Egyptian authorities due to their ongoing investigation.

The examination of air and water quality came back clear, Thomas Cook said.

There was no evidence of carbon monoxide and there were normal carbon dioxide levels in the vicinity of the room, they added.

Results also showed normal levels of chlorine in the swimming pools.

The tests did not identify the presence of shigella, listeria or salmonella.

Read More

Egypt hotel deaths

  • Findings at hotel after two Brits died
  • Hotel where couple stayed on major sites
  • Daughter of couple who died speaks out
  • Air conditioner ‘not faulty’

Thomas Cook Chief Executive, Peter Fankhauser, said: "Everyone at Thomas Cook is deeply saddened by the tragic deaths of John and Susan Cooper while staying at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada.

"Susan was a longstanding and much-loved colleague of ours.

"We continue to await the results of the investigation being conducted by the Egyptian authorities and are working closely with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to ensure we prioritise the very best interests of the Cooper family.

"However, the tests that Thomas Cook commissioned and announced today show that hygiene at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel during the month of August did not meet the standards we expect.

"I am very sorry for all our customers who fell ill while on a Thomas Cook holiday at this hotel."

Mr Fankhauser added: "These results, while not establishing the cause of the tragic deaths of John and Susan Cooper, have prompted us to commit further resource to tackle hygiene standards in those hotels where we identify a higher than average level of sickness.

"At any one time, Thomas Cook has more than 500,000 people holidaying with us somewhere in the world.

"We will continue to do all that we can to keep them safe and well on what should be the happiest weeks of their year."

Source: Read Full Article