Elton John sang 'Tiny Dancer', 'Your Song' and 'Circle of Life' at Royal Wedding reception
The singer was a close friend of the groom's mum, Princess Diana, and was asked personally by the Prince to perform at the star-studded celebration, at St George's Hall.
The performance took guests by surprise, with Prince Harry asking: "Does anyone here know how to play the piano?"
At this point, Elton John sprung to his feet to serenade the Royal couple's guests with four of his famous tunes: "Your Song", "Tiny Dancer", "Circle of Life" and "I'm Still Standing".
The 71-year-old is a close friend of the Royals and also attended the 2011 wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at Westminster Abbey.
Best man, Prince William, was comparing the glittering affair but handed the floor to the singer during the reception.
How the Royal Wedding has unfolded so far…
- Meghan wore Diana’s ring as Harry drove the pair to their star-studded reception after tying the knot
- Meghan changed out of her Givenchy wedding dress into a bespoke lily white high-neck silk crepe gown by Stella McCartney for the party
- Celebrities including George and Amal Clooney, the Beckhams and Oprah Winfrey partied the night away at the lavish bash
- Elton John entertained guests by singing his hit songs ‘Tiny Dancer’, ‘Your Song’ and ‘Circle of Life’ at the party
- Prince Charles ‘had reception guests in stitches’ with gags about changing Harry’s nappy before a glittering firework display
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle earlier sealed their marriage with a kiss after a groundbreaking modern Royal Wedding
- Meghan stunned in a Givenchy gown with a 15ft veil embroidered with flowers for the ceremony
- Princess Charlotte and Prince George melted hearts with their outfits for the big day
- At the ceremony American Bishop Michael Curry stole the show with an eccentric speech
A spokesman for Kensington Palace said: ”Sir Elton John has performed at the Lunchtime Reception for guests celebrating the Wedding of Prince Harry and Ms. Meghan Markle.
“Prince Harry asked Sir Elton to perform at the Reception which was hosted by Her Majesty The Queen at St George's Hall, Windsor Castle.
“Sir Elton performed for the newly married couple in recognition of the close connection he has with Prince Harry and his family.”
Harry's brother William continued his best man duties with a brief two-minute speech, followed by words from Prince Charles and the groom himself.
Harry used the final words of his speech to help set up Elton John's surprise performance.
Meghan did not make a speech at the afternoon reception, despite reports that she would.
The Sun exclusively revealed in February that Elton John had quietly cancelled two of his Vegas shows – freeing him up for the weekend of the Royal Wedding.
He was due to play concerts at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace on Friday May 18 and Saturday May 19.
Speaking to executive editor Dan Wootton in January, the Rocket Man singer was coy and said "no one has been asked" to the wedding, yet.
But he added: “It will be nice because I love him very dearly."
The star famously sang Candle in the Wind at Princess Diana’s funeral in 1997.
Speaking about the Prince and his brother William, he said: “We’re working very, very closely on AIDS projects with him. And both of those boys are very special to me because of their mother. He’s a good boy.
“His heart is in the right place and all you want is for people to be happy.”
Elton also revealed Harry told him he was “in love” with Meghan when they spent time together at Google Camp in Italy last summer.
Source: Read Full Article