Good Samaritan loses his job and marriage after woman, 19, LIED about sex attack when he stopped to help fix her car

A MAN lost his job and marriage after a woman lied that he'd sexually assaulted her when he helped fix her car.

Caitlyn Gray, 19, told police Kenan Basic, 36, lunged at her and groped her when she refused his advances.

The dad, from Sydney, was thrown into a maximum-security jail for a week and charged with two counts of acts of indecency, one count of inciting a person over the age of 16 to commit an act of indecency and one count of stalking and intimidation with intending to cause fear or physical harm.

All charges against Mr Basic were dropped last Monday after the now 20-year-old broke down when she was pressed by detectives and admitted she’d made it all up.

She told police she “just wanted (Mr Basic) to go to jail” when she was found out.

“He shouldn’t have said that to me. He was disgusting,” she added.

When asked again why she lied, Ms Gray said she “didn’t want to get into trouble”.


She added: “I would have eventually come clean because I would have had a guilty conscience”.

The made-up ordeal began when Ms Gray was involved in a minor collision in the western Sydney suburb of Bankstown in November.

Ms Gray managed to drive her car to a BP service station where Mr Basic pulled up a short time later and offered to help.

According to court documents, Ms Gray claimed after the car was fixed, Mr Basic offered to follow her in case the car broke down again but she refused.

She then told police Mr Basic said she “owed” him a hug for the favour and requested she perform sex acts on him.

She claimed she drove away but then broke down again and realised Mr Basic had followed her to the Liverpool area.

I would have eventually come clean because I would have had a guilty conscience

As Mr Basic followed her through traffic, Ms Gray called her boyfriend, “yelling”, who used a second phone to call police.

Liverpool Police quickly found a distressed Ms Gray and took her to the local police station.

She provided a statement detailing the entire ordeal and signed it.

Mr Basic was arrested the next day, on November 23, and willingly told police he had helped the teenager fix her car before following her to Milperra Rd in Liverpool to make sure she didn’t break down again.

He was fired from his job and is going through a divorce as a result of the accusation.

Investigators trawled through CCTV footage of the section of the road where Ms Gray claimed she was groped but were unable to find anything.

Police then questioned her again to discover if she was telling the truth but she said she had "no reason to lie" about the assault.


She was asked if she mixed the streets up and she said it was possible, but repeated that she'd have no reason to lie.

The next day they asked her again if she'd lied and she admitted to making the whole thing up.

An urgent bail application was scheduled for Mr Basic the next day, when he was released from custody.

Mr Basic, a Bosnian refugee whose father had been killed in the country’s civil war, had a pensioner mother who relied on him that he was unable to help while in jail.

"I always help people you know, all my life, and this is the first time the snake bit me,” Mr Basic told Nine News.

“I feel happy because I got my freedom you know.”

Gray appeared in Bankstown Local Court today where she pleaded guilty to lying about the horrific ordeal.

Mohammed Suliman asked for the case to be adjourned until next month to give him enough time to obtain a psychological report.

Magistrate Glenn Walsh adjourned the case to June 25 where Ms Gray will be sentenced on one count of knowingly making a false or misleading statement.

A version of this story originally appeared on

Source: Read Full Article