Gov. Cuomo says he won’t ban trick-or-treating in New York
ALBANY — Halloween will survive the coronavirus in the Empire State, Gov. Andrew Cuomo pledged Tuesday.
“I would not ban trick or treaters going door to door,” Cuomo told News12 Long Island.
“I don’t think that’s appropriate. You have neighbors. If you want to go knock on your neighbor’s door, God bless you. I’m not going to tell you not to.
“If you want to go for a walk with your child through the neighborhood, I’m not going to tell you you can’t take your child through the neighborhood. I’m not going to do that,” he added.
“I’ll give you my advice and guidance and then you’ll make the decision what you’ll do that night.”
The declaration comes over a month ahead of the holiday, but other states across the country have already raised the specter of a ban amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
California’s Los Angeles County canceled trick or treating and Halloween parties last week citing virus fears, but then promptly walked back the decision and instead recommended individuals stay home.
Cuomo’s office said they will be issuing guidance for safe practices prior to Oct. 31, but have already given the green light to corn mazes and hayrides with restrictions in place including reduced capacity, social distancing requirements and mandatory face masks.
New York’s statewide infection rate has remained under 1 percent for the past 38 days, according to state Health Department figures released Monday.
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article