Horrific moment boy, 5, is struck on the head by a cricket ball

Horrific moment five-year-old boy is knocked off his feet after being struck on the head by a cricket ball that flew over grammar school fence

  • Harry Butt, five, was struck on the head by a cricket ball in Dorset on Thursday
  • He was left with a concussion, a swollen nose, plus sight and hearing problems
  • The ball flew over a fence from a match being played at Poole Grammar School
  • The incident was captured on CCTV and doctors say he is lucky to be alive 

This is the horrific moment a five-year-old boy is knocked off his feet after being struck on the head by a cricket ball that flew over a grammar school fence.  

Harry Butt was left with a severe concussion, a swollen nose and eye, plus sight and hearing problems after the ball whizzed over the fence from a match being played at the Poole Grammar School in Dorset on Thursday.

His mother Michelle said residents had been complaining for years about the balls hitting cars, conservatories and ending up on roofs, and said action should have been taken long before a child was hurt.

Michelle is now demanding for something to be done before another person is seriously injured, but the school reportedly told her it couldn’t raise the height of the fence for health and safety reasons.

Harry Butt, five, was left with a severe concussion, a swollen nose and eye, plus sight and hearing problems after the ball whizzed over the fence from a match being played at the Poole Grammar School in Dorset on Thursday

His mother Michelle said: ‘We took him to A&E and we were admitted to hospital. He was violently sick, had really bad concussion and the consultant said if it had hit him anywhere else, he wouldn’t be here – it hit him on the forehead, on the side’

Michelle, who lives in Canford Heath, Dorset, had taken Harry and her 12-year-old twin girls to visit friends before heading off on a bank holiday weekend camping trip to Weymouth.

They were on the driveway of the friend’s home saying goodbye when the ball whistled past Michelle’s ear and struck Harry.

She said: ‘It sounded like a bomb had gone off – my little boy was on the floor. We were all in shock – he was dazed.

‘We took him to A&E and we were admitted to hospital. He was violently sick, had really bad concussion and the consultant said if it had hit him anywhere else, he wouldn’t be here – it hit him on the forehead, on the side.’

Harry, who attends Ad Astra Infant School, was discharged on Friday morning, with Michelle under strict instructions to keep a close eye on him for the next fortnight and to return to hospital if she was worried.


Harry, who attends Ad Astra Infant School, was discharged on Friday morning, with Michelle under strict instructions to keep a close eye on him for the next fortnight and to return to hospital if she was worried

Michelle has already been back once as the little boy now has two black eyes, cannot breathe through his nose as it is so swollen, and is now having trouble hearing

She has already been back once as the little boy now has two black eyes, cannot breathe through his nose as it is so swollen, and is now having trouble hearing.

She added: ‘We are on day five and he’s not himself, he’s crying every night. My sister has got brain damage and Harry might still suffer from bad headaches.

‘I’m still in shock – I still hear the noise. It’s just awful and I want something done.’

Although Poole Grammar School reportedly told Michelle it wouldn’t raise the height of the fence, the school said it would move future cricket matches to an alternative field.

Michelle added: ‘I just feel really upset that they’ve been told about the balls going over and nothing has been done. I know that you can have netting around the pitches.’ 

Although Poole Grammar School reportedly told Michelle it wouldn’t raise the height of the fence, the school said it would move future cricket matches to an alternative field

She continued: ‘It’s also about the safety of the students at the school – obviously it’s not big enough to play a game of cricket, because the balls keep coming over the fence.’

‘I just think the way it’s been dealt with is not professional and it should have been done before.’

Councillor Ray Tindle, who represents Canford Heath said he and fellow ward councillor, Sean Gabriel, would be looking to work with both local residents and the school to find a solution and prevent such an incident taking place again.

He added: ‘The school has got to face up to the fact that this is an issue and something has to be done.’

Mail Online have contacted Poole Grammar School for comment. 

Source: Read Full Article