Huge Lego event in UK hit by ‘Norovirus’ as dozens fall ill with vomiting bug

Dozens of people are feared to have been struck down by the Norovirus at a huge lego event in a UK city.

An investigation is underway after people at the big event in Bristol were reportedly hit by a sickness and diarrhoea bug.

More than 4,000 people had reportedly attended the Lego brick convention at the Action Indoor Sports Centre last weekend.

The show is said to be the biggest celebration of Lego in the UK, reports Bristol Live.

One of the organisers, Nick Amos, from the Bristol Lego Users Group GertLug, had said: “We had a great weekend, we had so many people saying about how much they loved what we did.

“We raised a total of £6,500 to be split between CLiC and Children’s Hospice South West, and we’ve had families who attended and the displayers themselves still buzzing about how great the weekend was.”

  • 40 children fall ill at UK holiday park as outbreak hits attraction 

  • Guests describe scenes at sickness-hit holiday park 'kids being violently ill in the bar'

But he added that, on Monday and Tuesday, increasing numbers of reports came in of those attending having been struck down by the illness.

Exhibitors were believed to have been the worst hit by organisers dealing with multiple reports from their exhibitors of illness since the event.

One anonymous person who attended said they weren’t happy with the venue.

“The state of the place left a lot to be desired,” he said.

“The food wasn’t great and over the weekend, the toilets weren’t well maintained, the basins didn’t work well and there was no hand sanitiser and that sort of thing.”

He added: “At least 40 people that I know about have been affected.

  • Brits risk nasty flea outbreak as heating is turned on – what to look out for

“It’s just such a shame after how successful the actual event was. We’re all absolutely devastated.

“People are saying it was the venue, but I’m not sure. There are Norovirus bugs going around this year a lot, and it could just be as simple as one or two people brought it with them without knowing and it spread.

“What we had was 2,000 people attending each day in one space all day, so bugs love that sort of environment.

“I don’t think it was the food or the toilets or anything, because it seems to have been so random. My brother was the first person I knew about who came down with it afterwards, and he didn’t stay there long, didn’t eat there, didn’t go to the toilet there.

“I was there 12 hours on the Friday setting up, 14 hours on the Saturday and 15 hours on the Sunday, ate there every day, basically lived there, and I have been fine.

“There are people who were there all the time not affected, and someone else in their family got it. It seems to have been pretty random.”

  • Norovirus outbreak warning as hundreds hit with horrible symptoms – how to avoid it

Organisers are now reportedly looking to move to another venue for next year.

“It’s just such a shame that this has affected the aftermath of what was a really successful weekend,” Mr Amos added.

No one from Action Indoor Sports was available to comment on Wednesday after being contacted by Bristol Live.

A spokesperson from Bristol City Council confirmed that reports had been received, and that inquiries through its Public Health officers were underway.

The Bristol Brick Show also issued a post on its Facebook page on Wednesday afternoon, which said: “Thank you all for coming to our show, enjoying it and helping us to raise money for two very worthy charities.

“We have been made aware that a number of people who attended our event over the weekend have since been hit by a virus.

  • Norovirus outbreak in schools and hospitals as health bosses issue warning

"Unfortunately there were no reports of sickness made during the duration of the show therefore we had no way of warning anyone nor identifying a source at the time.

“Many of you will know that Bristol has recently seen multiple cases of Norovirus affecting schools, hospitals and other businesses in the area and the combination of that plus almost 4,000 people through our doors over the weekend seems to have contributed to an outbreak.

“We held the same event at the same venue last year with no known issues so are confident this is an unfortunate and isolated incident.

“As the organisers we are devastated that this has put a damper on an otherwise successful show obviously we wish everyone who is affected a speedy recovery.

“Thanks for your continued support and we hope your memories of the show are not by tainted by these events!”

Source: Read Full Article