Human bones at Vatican embassy are NOT those of missing teenage girls

Human bones at Vatican embassy are NOT those of missing Italian girls: Hopes of solving 35-year-old mystery are foiled as tests reveal skeleton belonged to a man

  • Teenagers Emanuela Orlandi and Mirella Gregori went missing in Rome in 1983
  • Bones found at Vatican’s embassy in Rome sparked fresh interest in the cases
  • But initial tests have revealed the bones are male and dated from before 1964  

A poster calling for information on Emanuela Orlandi, who disappeared aged 15 from a Rome street in 1983

The human bones discovered at a Vatican embassy last month do not belong to either of two Italian girls who went missing in the 1980s, it is believed, foiling hopes that a 35-year-old mystery was about to be solved.

Teenagers Emanuela Orlandi and Mirella Gregori went missing in the space of 40 days in Rome in 1983.

The skeleton discovered at the Vatican embassy in Rome on October 31 sparked fresh interest in the case of the missing 15-year-olds. 

But early tests on the bones have revealed they belonged to a man, a judicial source said. 

In addition carbon dating on the bones showed they were older than 1964 and could not belong to the missing girls. 

An Italian bishop said the find had ‘nothing to do’ with the disappearance of the two girls, Crux Now reported.  

The two girls’ disappearance has sparked a range of theories over the years, especially surrounding Emanuela’s case and its links to the Vatican. 

Cold War politics, the attempted assassination of Pope John Paul II, alleged Vatican links to the Italian criminal underworld and claims of satanic orgies by prelates have all been blamed for the girl’s disappearance. 

Emanuela, who was last seen on a street in Rome, disappeared after leaving her family’s Vatican City apartment to go to a music lesson in Rome. Her father was a member of the Holy See police force.  

One theory suggests she was kidnapped by hostage-takers trying to have Mehmet Ali Agca, who shot the Pope in St Peter’s Square in 1981, freed from prison.

  • ‘Mentally broken’ foxes and mink are pictured in Finnish fur…

    Spain doubles down on threat to ‘veto’ Brexit over Gibraltar…

Share this article

Shortly after she disappeared the police are claimed to have received anonymous calls, which said Emanuela would be freed if the Turkish gunman was released.   

Rome’s chief prosecutor was called in to investigate the latest find but Emanuela’s brother played down hopes of finding her body, saying the family had suffered disappointments in the past.

He said earlier this month: ‘I was amazed the Vatican police immediately came up with the idea that it could be the remains of Emanuela and Mirella Gregori. How did they make the connection?’   

The skeleton and bone fragments were unearthed during work on an annex to the Holy See’s embassy compound in Rome.  

The Vatican did not mention the missing girls but Italian media immediately linked her unsolved disappearance to the discovery of the bones.

The Rome embassy is in the upscale residential neighborhood of Parioli, near the city’s Villa Borghese museum.    

The last major twist in the case came in 2012, when forensic police exhumed the body of a reputed mobster from the crypt of a Roman basilica in hopes of finding Emanuela’s remains too. 

However, that search turned up no link.

More recently, a leading Italian investigative journalist caused a sensation when he published a five-page document last year that had been stolen from a locked Vatican cabinet that suggested the Holy See had been involved in Orlandi’s disappearance. 

The Vatican immediately branded the document a fake, though it never explained what it was doing in the Vatican cabinet.

The document was purportedly written by a cardinal and listed supposed expenses used for Orlandi’s upkeep after she disappeared. 

The Vatican has repeatedly maintained that it has co-operated fully with police investigating the Orlandi case.

Protesters hold posters with Emanuela Orlandi’s image calling for ‘truth and justice’ for the 15-year-old who vanished in 1983, in a demonstration in St Peter’s Square in 2012

Source: Read Full Article