The official confirmed a report in Turkey’s Sabah newspaper that a team of 11 Saudi investigators arrived in Turkey nine days after Mr Khashoggi was killed.
They were sent to take part in a joint Turkish-Saudi probe, but included experts in chemistry and toxicology who were ordered to clean up any evidence.
The official said Turkey believes that two members of the team “came to Turkey for the sole purpose of covering up evidence” – a task they completed before police were allowed to search the Saudi consulate where Mr Khashoggi was killed on 2 October.
He went to the consulate to collect a document he needed to marry his Turkish fiancee.
The fact that a clean-up team was deployed suggests that Mr Khashoggi’s killing “was within the knowledge of top Saudi officials”, the Turkish official said.
The official also confirmed a report which identified the two experts as Ahmed Abdulaziz al-Janobi and Khaled Yahya al-Zahrani.
It is the latest in a series of leaks from Turkish officials orchestrated to keep up the pressure on Saudi Arabia and ensuring that the killing is not covered up.
Istanbul’s chief prosecutor, who is leading the investigation, announced last week that Mr Khashoggi, who lived in exile in the US, was strangled immediately after he entered the consulate.
It was part of a premeditated killing and his body was dismembered before being removed, the prosecutor added.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in the Washington Post last week that the order to kill Mr Khashoggi came from the highest level of the Saudi government.
He added that the international community had the responsibility to “reveal the puppet masters” behind the journalist’s killing.
Turkey is seeking the extradition of 18 suspects who have been detained in Saudi Arabia.
They include 15 members of an alleged Saudi “hit squad” that Turkey says was sent to kill the Washington Post columnist, who had been critical of Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in his articles.
The Sabah newspaper, which is close to the Turkish government, said on Saturday that Mr Khashoggi’s body, which still has not been found, was dismembered and removed from the Saudi consulate in five suitcases.
A senior official of Turkey’s ruling party has suggested his body may have been dissolved in acid or other chemicals.
Meanwhile, two of Mr Khashoggi’s sons appealed for his remains to be returned so that he may be buried in Saudi Arabia.
In an interview with CNN, the sons also said they hoped he did not suffer when he was killed.
“All what we want right now is to bury him in Al-Baqi (cemetery) in Medina with the rest of his family,” Salah Khashoggi said.
“I talked about that with the Saudi authorities and I just hope that it happens soon,” he said.
Source: Read Full Article