Libby Squire is finally laid to rest six months after body of tragic student was discovered

TRAGIC Libby Squire will finally be laid to rest today – eight months after she vanished while on a university night out.

Hundreds of mourners are paying tribute to the 21-year-old as she makes her final journey in her hometown of West Wycombe, Bucks.

Philosophy and religion student Libby went missing on a night out in Hull in February sparking a huge police search.

But tragically her body was discovered in Grimsby Docks six weeks after she vanished.

Her body was only released to her family in August as police continue to investigate her murder – with results of a post-mortem not made public.

Libby's devastated family have arrived at the church to say their final goodbyes in a public service for the student.

Her coffin, which was covered in white roses, was taken to the church in a vintage black hearse.

According to her order of service, Libby's funeral will include a tribute and poem from her mum Lisa Squire.

Posting on Facebook last week, Lisa said: “The time has come.

“Libby’s funeral will be held at St Lawrence’s Church, West Wycombe Hill, at 1pm on Thursday October 3.

“This is a public service so everybody is welcome.

“If you have a photo of Libby or a memory of Libby you could write down please do and bring it along with you.”

Libby vanished on January 31 after being turned away from the Welly nightclub in Hull for being too drunk.

She was dropped off in a taxi near her student digs but was seen staggering around before ending up sat on a park bench at 11.45pm.

Chilling CCTV footage taken minutes later at 12.09am shows a woman believed to be Libby getting into a car and being driven away.

A woman living close to where Libby was last seen described hearing "bloodcurdling screams" at 12.30am – making her sit up in bed and say: "Oh my God."

Her disappearance prompted a huge search effort involving more than 100 officers and a team of volunteers.

A river and pond close to her home were swept, while bins, drains and gardens were also searched without a trace.


A 25-year-old was arrested days later on suspicion of Libby's abduction but police later confirmed he had been released under investigation.

He was arrested in August on suspicion of murder but was again released under investigation.

Libby's parents, Lisa, 48, and Russ, 53, were left heartbroken by her death after desperately appealing for information at candlelight vigils for their daughter.

Lisa, who affectionately referred to her daughter as “Pie”, said she had lost “one of the four most precious things in my life”.

She added: “I cannot thank you enough my darling Pie for making me a mummy. For choosing me to be your mummy. It’s an honour, a privilege and a joy.

“I kept you safe for as long as I could and I am so sorry I could not keep you safe on that night. I’m sorry.

"I’m so so sorry.”

Source: Read Full Article