Man attacked sister with knife after she changed channel from football on TV

A man avoided jailed after launching a potentially "fatal" attack on his sister after she came home and changed the channel while he was watching football.

Southampton Crown Court heard Trevor Fyffe, from Southampton, grabbed a knife from the kitchen and repeatedly lunged at Vivienne Golding, inflicting arm injuries in what a judge described as a "sustained" assault.

Fyffe, who is mentally ill, was handed a suspended prison sentence at Southampton Crown Court.

Michael Forster, prosecuting, said the defendant was living with his mother and Ms Golding at the time of the offence in July 2018.

Fyffe returned from the church and found the defendant watching football on television in the living room. Ms Golding changed channels because she did not think their mother would want to watch football.

The defendant came at her with a knife, striking her on the left arm.

Ms Golding suffered a deep cut as she tried to defend herself.

Mr Forster said: "The defendant left the house with the knife and was long after in the street."

The lawyer said the defendant was frightened because his sister had done karate for five or 10 years and claimed he picked up the knife in case she attacked him.

  • Family arrange special birthday for tragic boy, 4, who lost both parents to coronavirus

Fyffe, 61, admitted a charge of wounding.

Charles Gabb, defending, said his client's mental illness had finally been diagnosed and he was responding positively to treatment.

Judge Christopher Parker QC told him: "During an argument about something that was completely trivial you picked up a knife, lunged at your sister two or three times and wounded her in the arm.

"Mercifully her injuries were comparatively minor compared to what could have been a terrible and tragic outcome.

"You had been suffering from paranoid schizophrenia which had gone untreated for nearly a quarter of a century. This had led to a history of violent behaviour, particularly towards your sister.

"The harm you caused was happily not very great but it could have been fatal. It was a sustained attack and was not the first time you had displayed aggression in the home.

"They need protection. You need help."

Fyffe was jailed for 15 months, suspended for 12 months.

He was also handed a 12-month mental health treatment order and a restraining order.

If you have been affected by issues of domestic violence or coercive control you can call Refuge's 24-Hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline for free. The number is 0808 2000 247.

Source: Read Full Article