Mum, 47, strangled to death when her dog leads wrapped around neck as she tripped on walk

A MUM was strangled to death when her dog leads wrapped around her neck as she tripped on a morning walk, an inquest heard today.

Deborah Mary Roberts, 47, tragically died after walking her two Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and was found face down with the pets next to her.


She had been on her regular walk in Garden Village, Wrexham, North Wales, on July 8.

It is thought she stumbled while walking with the dog's leads around her neck.

The dogs called Tyson and Ruby were on two rope leads – and they are believed to have begun pulling on them to get her up.

But widow Mrs Roberts – who struggled due to her Huntington's disease – was strangled and found face down on grassland with the dogs next to her.

The inquest heard was a "tragic case" in a freak accident as warehouse worker Mrs Roberts was on her regular walk in Garden Village, Wrexham, North Wales.

The coroner was told she usually placed the leads around her neck while the dogs were off the leash.

The inquest also heard Tyson and Ruby were "loving and caring pets" and may have been trying to get Mrs Roberts up by pulling on the leads.

Her son Robert told the inquest: "They are beautiful dogs. If you met them now they'd just jump up and lick you. All they were doing is trying to help my mum when she fell."

'TRAGIC CASE'

Another son Callum, said his mother had been walking with his young cousin who raised the alarm when the accident happened.

Two workmen rushed to help Ms Roberts. In a statement, one of them said: "I noticed a young girl running towards me crying, saying 'can you help me, someone is choking'."

He described how the two dogs were whimpering, adding that he could see Ms Roberts was unconscious.

The inquest in Ruthin heard had been suffering from Huntington's disease, an inherited, degenerative condition, which had led to her mobility deteriorating.

Assistant coroner, David Pojur, said she "may have stumbled" but "we don't know" why she had the leads around her neck.

He recorded the conclusion of accident death after hearing cause of death as asphyxiation caused by strangulation by a lead.

Mrs Roberts' family – whose husband Paul died about three years ago – asked for donations to be made to the Huntington’s Disease Association in her memory.

Earlier this year a family source told The Sun Online: "Deb's passing has left everyone in the family utterly devastated.

"She was an amazing mother with a huge heart. She had time and love for everyone.

"She was devoted to her four sons. They were her world."  

Mrs Roberts devastated son Callum paid tribute to his mum on Facebook.

He wrote: "My brothers and I are so overwhelmed by all the lovely comments about my mum, she really was one of a kind and we’ll miss her so much."

Source: Read Full Article