Mum dies from flesh-eating bacteria she ‘picked up in hot tub’ on Florida trip

A holidaymaker enjoying a family trip to Florida died after being struck down by a flesh-eating bacteria ‘from a hot tub’.

The 50-year-old mum, from Indiana, United States, tragically died nearly two months after she allegedly picked up the infection at a local hotel.

Doctors were left puzzled when Carol Martin returned from the vacation and noticed a small sore on her buttocks, an American news station has reported.

When she sought medical treatment, medics sent her home with antibiotics and suggested a heat pad.

However, she was forced to return for more help when the symptoms got worse.

It was later uncovered to be a deadly infection known as necrotizing fasciitis and she sadly passed away a short time later, news station WRTV reports.

Ms Martin’s family have now come out to say they believe the virus may have been from a hot tub at a hotel.

Her husband Richard said: “My thing is nobody else [in the family] got it, the flesh-eating bacteria.

“No one else got it but she was the only one who got in the hot tub.”

Only after her third trip to the doctors was a biopsy ordered, Richard claims.

He added: “That’s when they found out it was the flesh-eating virus, bacteria.”

The mum underwent two surgeries and was released, but days later she died at her home.

An autopsy was ordered to officially determine whether the virus caused her death.

Her devastated husband added that they should soon have the answers and know why this went where it did.

Source: Read Full Article