Mum’s skin fell off her face after egg explosion in TikTok ‘hack’ gone wrong

A woman was left in "absolute agony" after a cooking "hack" from TikTok went badly wrong.

Shafia Bashir attempted to make eggs in the microwave, a trick that has been making the rounds on the popular video-sharing app.

The mum, 37, started by pouring boiling water into a mug and adding an egg, before putting it in the microwave for a few minutes.

READ MORE: Bloke finds stowaway scorpion in his luggage after Cuban getaway – and names it Brian

But after Shafia took the concoction out and touched it with a cold spoon, she said it exploded "like a fountain" and hit her on the right side of her face, leaving her with "excruciating" burns.

Now she's warning others about the dangers of trying out online tricks.

"I just don't want anyone else going through that, because it is trending on TikTok," she said. "It was the most excruciating pain of my life.

"It was a terrifying time for me. I was in absolute agony.

"I put my face under the tap and then had to get my mate to look after my daughter so I could go to A&E."

  • Family 'terrorised by six-year-old Ukrainian orphan they fear is an adult'

Shafia, from Bolton, said she'd been using the "hack" for about three years and it had never gone wrong before the incident on May 12.

She said: "I did it exactly the same as I usually do it. I had already made the toast, I was starving!

"My ex-mother-in-law told me about it. She told me how to make a poached egg in the microwave. I had been doing it for three years."

"I boiled the kettle, half-filled the mug with water, put salt inside, the egg inside, and microwaved it for a minute. It wasn't cooked, so I put it in for another minute," she recalled of the incident.

"After it happened, I put my face under the tap for 20 mins. But the burning lasted for 12 hours. It just didn't stop."

Shafia has thankfully made a full recovery but she's sworn off eggs for life following the incident – and has shared her pain with her followers on social media.

She added: "For my last videos on TikTok, I did Beauty and the Beast and Tony Montana from Scarface, with the burn.

"My followers thought it was a filter!"

Cooking eggs in the microwave without removing the shell can be dangerous, as the shell holds in heat.

This means the egg from the microwave doesn't instantly stop it from cooking itself, and the pressure can cause the popular breakfast food to explode.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.


  • Bloke drains huge reservoir to find lost phone after dropping it taking selfie

  • UK towns with worst weather revealed – full list of Britain's dullest locations

  • Stag dos 'pleading' to go to Wrexham as Ryan Reynolds makes it most wanted destination

  • UK seaside town dubbed 'best in the world' is 'just like going back in time'

Source: Read Full Article