Murderer who vanished on day release found after posting on police Facebook page

A convicted murderer was found at a Premier Inn hotel in Nottingham after replying to a police appeal on the force's Facebook page.

Mark Repin was caught when he tagged himself in the hotel on social media, leading officers to swoop in and arrest him while he was in a "very, very poor state", according to Phillip Bown, mitigating at Nottingham Crown Court on Wednesday, March 30.

Repin was released on licence from North Sea Camp, an open prison for men aged 18 over in Boston, Lincolnshire, at 11.30am, and was required to return by 3.30pm.

When he failed to show, he was reported as an absconder to Lincolnshire Police.

The reason for his disappearance came after he was told he would have to do a "work detail" inside which caused him, "significant anxiety," explained Mr Bown.

"When he was released temporarily on this day, he was in such a bad state he withdrew money from his account, took a train to Nottingham, and booked into a Premier Inn using his prison identity.

"In his police interview, he said it was a, 'moment of madness'", said Mr Bown.

"When he realised what he had done, he posted his whereabouts on Nottinghamshire Police Facebook page, which is why they were able to find him in his hotel.

"The officers who conducted his arrest said he was in a confused state of mind; in his underclothes and his outdoor clothes were soaking wet".

  • Dad screamed 'you killed my son' as speeding driver 'crashed into newborn's pram'

After his arrest he found himself in Nottingham Prison and his release on licence was put back, "and not surprisingly he is extremely anxious to be dealt with today", said Mr Bown.

Repin has 18 convictions for 80 offences between February 1977 and May 1989.

He received a life sentence for murder in May 1989, as well sentences for section 18 wounding and arson – but more details about those terrible crimes were not heard in court.

The hearing focused on his latest crime involving his disappearance from custody on February 28, 2022.

He was moved to North Sea Camp in August 2021. Repin pleaded guilty to remaining at large after temporary release without reasonable excuse under the Prisoners (Return to Custody) Act 1995.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Mr Bown said the 55-year-old was frank in the police interview and apologetic, apologising for any inconvenience caused, and the case was, "a mile away from an escape".

Judge Rosalind Coe QC sentenced him to eight weeks in custody. She said he had been in prison since 1989 and, "you have jeopardised your release date by this compulsive act. You were at large for more than eight-and-a-half hours".

Repin, who appeared over a video link from HMP Nottingham, said: "I'm so grateful for taking the time to deal with this case for what I have done".

Source: Read Full Article