Newlywed dies on American Airlines flight that pilot ‘refused’ to divert

A newlywed nurse died after suffering an embolism on an American Airlines flight that a pilot REFUSED to divert the plane despite pleas from an onboard doctor, it has been claimed.

Brittany Oswell was on her way home to South Carolina with her military husband Cory when she collapsed in the toilet on the flight from Hawaii to Texas in April 2016.

According to a lawsuit filed against the airline the 25-year-old passed out several times during the flight and her pulse stopped.

Flight attendants and a doctor on board frantically tried to save her life by giving her CPR after pleading with the captain to make an emergency landing.

But the captain allegedly refused after getting advice from an on-call doctor on the ground.

Four hours after she first passed out the plane landed in Dallas and she was rushed to hospital.

She was declared brain dead three days later, after suffering a pulmonary embolism and cardiac arrest and never regaining consciousness.

Her husband – who she had been married to for less than a year – and her family are now suing the airline, WSFA reports .

In the lawsuit they accuse American Airlines of negligence for not diverting the plane, which they claim could have prevented her death by getting her the help she needed sooner.

The couple were traveling from Honolulu, where Cory was stationed as active duty military personnel at the time.

Brittany became ‘dizzy, disorientated and started slurring her speech’ around three hours into the flight.

She fainted and when she regained consciousness a doctor who happened to be on board said he thought she was having a panic attack.

But a little later she went to the bathroom and vomited and defecated all over herself.

The doctor told flight attendants to get the captain to divert the plane – but it is alleged that he had to be woken up for cabin crew to speak to him.

The pilot allegedly said an on-call doctor on the ground had said to keep flying.

The doctor desperately tried to revive her using CPR and a defibrillator but claims no shock came out of the pads as it should, the lawsuit claims.

The doctor then gave her a shot of epinephrine to try to revive her but it did not work.

It states: "After Brittany’s pulse stopped, the doctor and the flight attendants placed the AED pads on Brittany’s chest and attempted to turn on the current.

"However… the AED reported that no shock was administered despite three attempts.

"The plaintiffs are informed and believe the doctor and the flight attendants then took turns administering CPR to Brittany."

The plane landed in Dallas-Fort Worth airport approximately 90 minutes after the doctor’s pleas to make an emergency landing and she was rushed to hospital.

She suffered a second embolism while in the hospital and on April 18, was declared dead.

Her parents Tina and Christopher filed the lawsuit against American Airlines in South Carolina on the second anniversary of her death, alongside widower Cory.

They are seeking damages in an amount to be determined by a jury for severe emotional distress, anxiety, grief, and sorrow.

Lawyer Brad Cranshaw told the Mailonline that her fate was sealed by the airline’s staff’s actions.

He said: "When Brittany got on the plane, she stepped into her coffin. It’s a tragedy."

American Airlines said in a statement: "We take the safety of our passengers very seriously and we are looking into the details of the complaint."

Source: Read Full Article