Parents warn beachgoers after finding ‘used needles’ in sand near kids

Parents warn bank holiday beachgoers after finding ‘used needles’ in the sand as their children played nearby

  • Syringes have been discovered at Barry Island and Porthcawl in south Wales
  • Parents were horrified as their youngsters could have stepped on them
  • A mother has warned others to be aware of the needles

A horrified mother has warned other parents to be aware of used hypodermic needles left on beaches over the Bank Holiday weekend, after her daughter nearly stepped on one. 

Needles have been found dumped at Barry Island and Porthcawl – both popular south Wales tourist beaches – close to where children were playing in the sand. 

The mother, who wished to remain anonymous, said on Facebook: ‘I found it on Barry Island beach; the tide was out and it was quite far down the beach so could have washed up but I’d warn people just in case.

Parents have been warned to be aware of used syringes left on Welsh beaches at Barry Island and Porthcawl, after needles were found near holidaying children. The above syringe was found on Barry Island beach

‘My little girl was inches from standing on it. I couldn’t leave it on the beach as there were lots of little kiddies on there playing and I didn’t want to risk them potentially getting injured.

‘I luckily managed to find council workers with a sharps bin. I wouldn’t have known where to dispose of it if I hadn’t found them!’

Her warning has been shared over 2,600 times.  

Apart from the obvious danger of physical injury from used needles, there are also risks associated with blood borne diseases.

Just a fortnight ago, mum Clara Morgan-Williams, of  Tredegar, took her child to Porthcawl and found another needle.

Needles have been found on two popular south Wales tourist beaches close to where children were playing. This syringe was found on Porthcawl beach

She said: ‘We’d never taken our son to Porthcawl beach before and certainly won’t be going back. There was a strip of rubbish all across the top area of the beach, mixed with sticks etc, but this was the only dry area so we didn’t have any other choice but to sit close to it.

‘My son started playing on the sand and with the sticks and luckily I was right next to him and noticed it first as he would have definitely picked it up.

‘It was to the side of the pushchair accessible area on the beach. We moved away from it right away and made other people aware of it but couldn’t see any nearby bins or anyone we could make aware of it, to remove it.’

Source: Read Full Article