Pictured: Driver who killed five in Range Rover attack in Germany

Pictured: Driver who mowed down and killed five including a nine-week-old baby in Germany as investigators reveal he has still not given a reason for the rampage

  • Bernd Walter W, 51, is still being questioned by police over last week’s attack
  • Officers say they are yet to establish a motive for the killings in Trier
  • Five people were killed and 18 were injured in the horrific Range Rover rampage

The driver who mowed down and killed five people in a German car rampage has been pictured. 

The attacker, known as Bernd Walter W, 51,  was believed to have been living in the Range Rover which he drove into pedestrians in a shopping street in Trier.

A nine-week-old baby girl, her father and three others died in the horrific attack last week, with many more injured.

Police said a motive has still not been established as Bernd continues to be questioned by officers.

Bernd Walter W, 51, who allegedly mowed down and killed five people in a German car rampage has been pictured

The Range Rover involved in last week’s rampage in Trier is hoisted away from the scene where it was stopped and its driver arrested after he ploughed into pedestrians in a shopping street, killing five people and injuring more than a dozen others 

The driver is pinned to the ground next to the Range Rover believed to have run over pedestrians in Trier

A spokesman told Bild: ‘He has not yet given us a conclusive motive.’

They added: ‘We expect more witnesses will come forward when the initial shock has subsided.’

In what the city’s mayor described as ‘Trier’s darkest day since World War II’, witnesses described seeing people flung off the ground and the child’s pram flying through the air during the four-minute rampage. 

As well as the nine-week-old baby and her 45-year-old father, who were Greek-German dual nationals, the rampage killed three German women aged 25, 52 and 73, while 18 others were injured, six of them seriously. 

The wounded people included the baby’s mother and her one-year-old brother who were both taken to hospital with their injuries, the Greek foreign ministry said.  

Tributes to the Trier victims were held as people left candles on the pedestrian street where people were hit by the car

Candles were lit outside the Porta Nigra, an old Roman gate close to where the driver was stopped and arrested on Tuesday 

The suspect, who was remanded in custody after appearing in court in a white hazmat suit, has made ‘variable and sometimes incomprehensible statements’ in his interviews with police – with authorities assessing whether he is mentally stable enough to be held criminally liable. 

In one Facebook post reportedly sent soon before the rampage, he wrote: ‘It should say on my gravestone – save your tears, where were you when I was alive?’.  

The man had spent the last few nights in the vehicle and did not seem to have a fixed address, Trier deputy police chief Franz-Dieter Ankner said. He had borrowed the vehicle, which was registered in someone else’s name, but did not appear to have previous convictions. 

After his name emerged, reports described him as an unemployed electrician remembered by neighbours as a ‘strange individual’ who was known to drink at a local kebab shop and had lived with his mother before her death a few years ago. 

Evidence lies on a cordoned-off street following the rampage in Trier by a driver who police said was under the influence of alcohol and may have have psychiatric problems 

Emergency workers inspect the damage in Trier after the SUV driver turned into a pedestrian street and ran people down

Police said the driver had ploughed through the streets for more than half a mile, leaving behind a trail of destruction in a pedestrian area which would usually be hosting a popular Christmas market. 

He was pinned down and arrested near the city’s old Roman gate four minutes after the rampage began and was in custody last night as police try to establish his motive.  

An unnamed man who said he was a former neighbour of the suspect told NTV that the driver had a history of mental issues, as well as money worries and problems with his father. 

He had once belonged to a shooting club but had not been seen there for years and was not thought to own a weapon, the head of the club told t-online.   

A woman leaves a candle in tribute for the victims last night following what was described as Trier’s darkest day since the war

A wrecked child’s pram is seen on the pedestrian street in Trier on Tuesday, after witnesses described seeing a buggy flung into the air and authorities confirmed that a young girl had died in the attack 

Mayor Wolfram Leibe said: ‘It looks as if we are talking about a suspect with mental issues, but we should not pass premature judgement.’ 

After the mayor, his voice breaking with emotion, revealed that a young girl was among the dead, cathedral bells were rung and a memorial service held for the victims. 

A mangled pram stood in the wreckage after officers sealed off the area and gathered evidence, while the Range Rover was hoisted away from the street where police had brought it under control hours earlier. 

Officials said at a press conference last week that they had ‘no indication that there was any kind of a terrorist, political or religious motive that could have played a role.’

The car is thought to have driven around half a mile through a pedestrian area near the Porta Nigra, an old Roman gate 

While Trier is usually home to one of Germany’s most popular Christmas markets, the event was cancelled this year because of the pandemic. 

Although bars and restaurants have closed under a so-called ‘lockdown light’ to bring down infections, shops and schools have remained open, unlike during the spring.  

The incident brought back memories of the 2016 truck rampage at a Berlin Christmas market that left 12 people dead. The driver on that occasion, a failed Tunisian asylum seeker, was a supporter of the Islamic State jihadist group.   

In August 2019, six people were injured in a series of motorway accidents in Berlin in what prosecutors described as a suspected Islamist attack.  

Source: Read Full Article