Piers Morgan says he's had messages from Royal Family
Piers Morgan reveals he’s had messages from the Royal Family expressing ‘gratitude someone was standing up for them’ in the aftermath of Harry and Meghan’s bombshell Oprah interview
- Piers Morgan, DailyMail.com’s Editor-at-Large, said he has had messages on behalf of the Royal Family after Harry and Meghan’s Oprah Winfrey interview
- Morgan made the admission in an interview with Extra’s Billy Bush that is set to air Tuesday night
- The former British breakfast TV host said the messages from the Royal Family expressed ‘gratitude someone was standing up for them’
- Morgan left his TV show, Good Morning Britain, back on March 9 over his on-air comments about Meghan Markle in the wake of the Oprah interview
- He had said that he didn’t believe a word of Markle’s interview and slammed her for insinuating that the Royal Family was racist
Piers Morgan, DailyMail.com’s Editor-at-Large, has revealed he’s had messages on behalf of members of the Royal Family expressing ‘gratitude someone was standing up for them’ in the wake of Harry and Meghan’s Oprah Winfrey interview.
Morgan made the admission in an interview with Extra’s Billy Bush, which is set to air Tuesday night, when he was asked if anyone from the Royal Family had reached out following the couple’s interview last month.
‘I’ve had some messages communicated to me on behalf on several members of the Royal Family,’ Morgan said.
He would not reveal if it was senior members of the Royal Family who had communicated the messages.
‘I’m not going to go into who it was… but gratitude that somebody was standing up,’ he said.
Morgan left his British breakfast TV show, Good Morning Britain, back on March 9 over his on-air comments about Meghan Markle in the wake of the Oprah interview.
He had said that he didn’t believe a word of Markle’s interview and slammed her for insinuating that the Royal Family was racist.
Piers Morgan, DailyMail.com’s Editor-at-Large, made the admission in an interview with Extra’s Billy Bush, which is set to air Tuesday night
‘There’s been an attempt to cancel me. There’ve been many attempts like this before, and somehow I remain resolutely uncanceled,’ Morgan said.
‘In the end, I was required to apologize for disbelieving Meghan Markle, who I don’t believe – and I believe, which is ironic, that you should not believe somebody if you don’t want to,’ Morgan said of his departure from his show.
In the aftermath, there were reports Markle had personally contacted the boss of the ITV network, Morgan’s former employer, to complain about him.
Morgan said he wasn’t aware Markle had contacted the network until after he left.
‘It was certainly a very interesting revelation from where I sit, because clearly she was trying to put huge pressure on my bosses to take action against me,’ he said.
The network received 57,000 complaints about Morgan following his Markle comments, which he said came from an ‘online mob’ that made death threats against his family, including his sons.
‘My wife’s always been completely supportive about this, but she hates the online abuse. The idea my sons had to be targeted by so-called liberals in a way that was threatening to them, abusive to them is completely disgusting,’ he said.
Asked by Bush what he was say to Markle now given the chance, Morgan said he would ask her to sit down for an interview so he could put some ‘difficult questions’ to her.
‘I would say to Meghan Markle, ‘Look… sit down with me with your husband for an equally long interview… and let me ask you more difficult questions about all your claims,’ Morgan said.
‘But let me ask you a wider question, which is this: If you hate the royal family that much, why do you keep your royal titles? Why would you do that if it’s just not to make millions and millions of dollars?’
Morgan revealed he has had messages on behalf of members of the Royal Family expressing ‘gratitude someone was standing up for them’ in the wake of Harry and Meghan’s Oprah Winfrey interview last month
Harry and Meghan made at least 17 claims in their Oprah interview which can be categorized as either disproven, exaggerated or unverifiable
His appearance on Extra came after Morgan gave his first wide-ranging TV interview in the wake of the controversy to Fox News’ Tucker Carlson on Monday.
During that interview, Morgan doubled down on his criticism of Meghan and Harry, saying he finds their ‘smearing’ of the Ryoals and the Queen ‘disgusting’.
He also pointed out that the only member of the family forced to apologize for racism has been Harry.
The Prince had made a video diary in 2006, while in the British army, in which he describes an Asian member of his platoon as ‘our little Paki friend’.
Morgan said: ‘I have met the Royals many times and I don’t believe they are racist at all.
‘In fact, the only member of the Royal Family who has had to publicly apologize for being racist is Prince Harry, who a few years ago had to apologize after using a deeply offensive racist term about a Pakistani soldier, that he was working with.
‘And he used other racial slurs as well in that story which was published by a British tabloid.
‘Which may explain his hatred for the British tabloids.’
A year before, he was forced to make a public apology for wearing a Nazi swastika at a fancy dress party.
‘He’s the only one. Isn’t that ironic? That wasn’t mentioned by Oprah Winfrey – and it should have been,’ Morgan said.
Morgan also took issue on Monday with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex making allegations of racism without naming the specific individuals involved.
They claimed that someone senior within the family had asked how dark their son Archie’s skin would be.
He also noted how both he and his friend Sharon Osbourne, who defended Morgan for voicing his opinions, had been forced from their jobs. Osbourne left daytime chat show The Talk on March 26 after a heated row on March 10 when she defended his right to air his views
Morgan said that he wanted to know more about the context, including whether the remarks were innocent and harmless or with a malicious undertone.
He also noted how both he and his friend Sharon Osbourne, who defended Morgan for voicing his opinions, had been forced from their jobs.
Osbourne left daytime chat show The Talk on March 26 after a heated row on March 10 when she defended his right to air his views.
‘If you’re going to accuse people of racism – and I have a real vested interest in this debate, because I have been accused of racism simply for disbelieving Meghan Markle, who we now know was not telling the truth throughout that interview.
‘And I feel very angry about that, and very aggrieved about that.
‘And I have seen friends of mine, like Sharon Osbourne, being removed from their job for defending me, because apparently they were defending a racist.
‘I have seen Don Lemon at CNN, the guy who sits in my old office, who I thought was a friend, actually say on his show that I had committed an act of racism by disbelieving somebody. That’s an act of racism?
‘So you have the Queen, and frankly every member of the royal family, is still smeared with the idea it may have been them who expressed concern over the skin color of Archie. Well, did they? And if so, who was it?
‘As a British taxpayer, who helps pay for the royal family, I would like to know, actually, if there is a real racist inside the palace.’
Prince Harry subsequently told Winfrey that it was not the Queen or Prince Philip.
Morgan also called into question Winfrey’s conduct during the interview, asking why she didn’t press for more answers or clarification.
‘My problem with this whole interview is that these incredibly damaging allegations were tossed out there, and none of them were challenged properly,’ he said. ‘None of them were challenged based on actual reality. None of them were asked, well, who is this person?’
He also went on to say that 17 claims made by the couple have since been proven to be false, exaggerated or are unverifiable.
Source: Read Full Article