Prince Philip spends four weeks in hospital in bleak milestone

Prince Philip has now spent a month in hospital under the care of medical staff after originally being admitted with a non-Covid related infection.

The Duke of Edinburgh, the UK's longest-serving consort, has had his longest ever stay as an inpatient in hospital – spanning more than 28 nights.

He was initially taken by car to the private King Edward VII’s Hospital in central London on February 16, after telling his doctor he felt unwell.

But two weeks later was moved to St Bartholomew’s Hospital in the City of London by ambulance.

The Duke underwent a successful procedure on a pre-existing heart condition on March 3, just three months before his 100th birthday.

Philip has been treated for heart problems in the past and in 2011 was taken to hospital by helicopter from Sandringham after suffering chest pains as the royal family was preparing for Christmas.

He was treated for a blocked coronary artery at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire and underwent a minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting.

He returned to King Edward VII’s a few days later to recuperate and continue his treatment.

Philip was visited at King Edward VII’s on February 20 by the Prince Charles, who made a 200-mile round trip from his Gloucestershire home and stayed for about 30 minutes.

The royal family confirmed that the initial infection was not Covid related.

The duke had been spending the latest lockdown at Windsor with the Queen for their safety, alongside a reduced household of staff dubbed HMS Bubble.

Concern about Philip's health has been heightened because of his advanced age and his hospital stay comes amid troubled times for the Royal Family.

During Philip’s spell in hospital, the monarchy was plunged into a crisis after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex plunged accused a member of the royal family of racism in a tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey.

  • Dogs or cats? It's time to fly your flag and vote on Britain's best pet

Oprah confirmed that Harry and Meghan have said that the comments about son Archie's skin tone were not the Queen or Philip.

During the interview, the couple also claimed that Meghan received no support for her mental health problems.

Harry and Meghan faced calls to postpone their interview with the US chat show host because Philip was unwell, but it went ahead and exposed a series of concerns about their lives as working royals.

Get latest news headlines delivered free

Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won't regret it…

The Queen, 94, said in a statement afterwards that the issues are concerning, but that “some recollections may vary” and the matter is a family one that will be dealt with privately.

The Duke of Cambridge, Prince William defended the House of Windsor, saying during a recent visit to a school in east London: “We’re very much not a racist family.”

Harry made claims that his relationship with his brother is strained and needs '"time".

Source: Read Full Article