A schoolgirl who died during a family holiday to Spain after an apparent severe allergic reaction to an ice-cream has been named locally as Habiba Chishti.
Habiba, nine, was on a half term break with her dad Dr Wajid Azam Chishti, mum Nadia, her older brother and younger sister when the tragedy happened.
The youngster passed away two days after being rushed from her Costa del Sol holiday resort in an ambulance when she went into suspected anaphylactic shock.
Habiba, believed to attend a private school, sadly died on Monday at a hospital in Malaga.
Her family has said Habiba had a nut allergy but was "fine with dairy products and ice cream."
They were due to fly back to Britain today with her body ahead of her funeral.
Well-wishers in Halifax, West Yorkshire, where her parents live with their other two children, have paid tribute to the youngster on social media and spoken of their shock at the death.
Relatives and friends said prayers at their local Jamia Mosque Madni.
A cousin of Habiba said: ”Habiba had a nut allergy, but she was fine with dairy products and ice cream.
“We are still not sure her eating the ice cream was the cause of her death, and we are not sure if she ate all the ice cream anyway.”
Her uncle Zafar Chishti, 49, said: "It is all very sad and we can’t understand what has happened.”
Another uncle said: “Habiba knew about the nut allergy and was very careful. Her dad was on top of it and this has never happened before.
“They had asked the ice cream place whether they had any nuts and they had been told not.”
Habiba had only just checked into a beachside resort in Mijas near Fuengirola earlier the same day with her parents and two siblings before making the short trip to a nearby shopping centre where she is believed to have eaten her ice-cream.
Halifax Muslim Community Announcements, a group set up to spread news of the Muslim Community within Halifax, said on its Facebook page, alongside a link to a news story about the sudden death of the girl: "Our little Habiba Chishti, daughter of Dr Wajid Chishti.
"May Allah bless her soul.”
It described her dad in a separate post as a dentist.
Shaheen Ul-Haq responded by writing: “Very heart breaking news.
"Habiba, her brother and sister used to go swimming with my son and niece every weekend. She was in his class.
"I can’t believe I won’t see her singing and dancing and that cheeky smile of hers anymore.”
She added: “I can’t begin to imagine what her mum is going through."
Another friend from Halifax added: "My thoughts and prayers are with the family during this very difficult time. Heartbreaking news."
A source close to the family confirmed they were flying back to Britain today with her body.
The family were staying at Club La Costa World, a sprawling holiday resort overlooking the Med, a short drive from Fuengirola.
Although initial local reports pointed to the girl eating the ice-cream at her holiday complex, resort managers later issued a press statement saying she had eaten the ice-cream elsewhere.
A spokesman said: "CLC World Resorts & Hotels would like to offer its heartfelt condolences to the family following the loss of their daughter on 18th February 2019.
"Having eaten ice-cream at a local commercial centre, the nine-year old girl suffered a severe allergic reaction.
"Despite the best efforts of doctors, CLC World staff and the emergency services, the young girl was placed on life support but subsequently died.
"CLC World Resorts & Hotels would like to thank its staff and emergency services for their quick and appropriate responses and continuing support for the family at this difficult time."
A judicial investigation has been opened by a duty court in Malaga.
It is not yet clear if the girl’s parents have any grounds to file a formal complaint over the incident.
A Foreign and Commonwealth Office spokesman said earlier in the week: "Our staff are supporting the family of a British girl following her death in Spain, and we are in contact with the Spanish hospital services."
Top news stories from Mirror Online
Source: Read Full Article