Search for missing flight MH370 to end next week
The private search for missing flight MH370, which vanished more than four years ago, will end next week.
Malaysia’s new transport minister said the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 by a private US firm will end on Tuesday next week and there will be no more extensions.
Houston-based Ocean Infinity has been searching for the aircraft that disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, with 239 people on board, in one of the world’s greatest aviation mysteries.
"This morning I raised this in cabinet and agreed to extend to May 29," Anthony Loke told reporters. Asked if that meant no more extensions, he said: "Yes."
All that has been found so far of the ill-fated flight MH370 is a handful of parts, such as part of a wing, washed up on remote islands across the world.
The hunt for the Boeing 777 was previously expected to end in June, as the 90-day agreement did not cover time taken for refuelling and resupplying search vessel Seabed Constructor.
However, Ocean Infinity had finished scouring its targeted search area in April and had requested an extension until May 29.
Large scale underwater searches focused on an area in the Indian Ocean, close to Australia, where the plane was originally believed to have crash landed into the sea.
But after little success, these were called off after two years. By June the private searches will also have halted.
Families are still desperately campaigning for answers about what has happened to their loved ones lost in the sky.
The flight took off from Kuala Lumpur airport bound for Beijing, but lost contact with air traffic control 40 minutes after take-off.
The plane was seen for the last time at 2.14am on military radar in the Strait of Malacca. Then it simply disappeared.
Debris was first found more than a year later at Reunion Island, 3000 miles away from the search area, and in October of 2016 two wing flaps were discovered in Mauritius.
In January 2017 the official search by Australia, Malaysia, and China of a 120,000 sq km (46,000 sq mile) target area was suspended, and to date none of the bodies of the more than 200 victims on board have been found.
Outlandish theories have abounded about what could have happened to the plane – from an alien take over to a hijack that involved Vladimir Putin, to claims that rapper Pitbull predicted it would crash years before.
Source: Read Full Article