Teen sick with ‘E coli’ after holiday at same resort as dead couple

Teenager, 19, tells how she was struck down with ‘E coli’ infection and spent 11 days in intensive care after returning home from holiday at same Egyptian resort where British couple died

  • Anna Doherty, 19, started to feel sick five days into her all-inclusive holiday
  • Teenager was staying in resort of Hurghada – same as John and Susan Cooper
  • British couple died after taking ill at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel 
  • Egyptian prosecutor’s office found E.coli at their hotel but daughter says she has ‘no faith’ in the result and will wait for a post-mortem result

A teenager has described how she was struck down with a bacterial infection after returning from a holiday at the same Egyptian resort where a British couple died.

Anna Doherty, 19, says she spent 11 days in intensive care after succumbing to an infection during her stay at the Jasmine Palace Hotel in the resort of Hurghada.

John Cooper, 69, and his wife Susan, 64, died after being taken ill during a Thomas Cook holiday at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in the same Red Sea resort on August 21.

Miss Doherty, an admin assistant from Walkden, travelled to Egypt with her dad and sister in March 2018 and said she started to feel sick half way through their ten-day stay at an all-inclusive hotel.

Anna Doherty, 19, spent 11 days in intensive care when back in the UK after succumbing to an infection during her stay at the Jasmine Palace Hotel in the resort of Hurghada

Anna said she began to feel extremely unwell, suffering symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea.

After visiting the on-site doctors’ clinic, Anna says she was told she had a water infection and was given an injection and a course of antibiotics.

She began to feel better, but when she returned home to the UK, her condition rapidly deteriorated.

Anna says her family rushed to the Royal Oldham Hospital and she was quickly transferred to The Royal Liverpool Hospital with suspected jaundice.


  • Grieving daughter dismisses Egyptian authorities’ claim that…


    REVEALED: Toxic farm-strength insecticide was sprayed INSIDE…


    British boy, seven, fights for life after Egypt holiday food…


    Filthy sun-loungers, hazardous umbrellas and a swimming pool…

Share this article

Doctors in Liverpool originally suspected Anna was suffering from ‘Haemolytic uraemic syndrome,’ which is commonly caused by a complication from an infection with E coli 0157.

Anna’s doctors were unable to give a final diagnosis, but believe the previously healthy teenager was struck by a bacterial infection. 

Egyptian prosecutor Nabil Sadek, who is investigating the deaths of Mr and Mrs Cooper, has said that Mrs Cooper suffered from the same illness that was suspected in Anna, likely because of E Coli. 


Once back in the UK Anna was transferred to The Royal Liverpool Hospital. Doctors in Liverpool originally suspected Anna was suffering from ‘Haemolytic uraemic syndrome,’ which is commonly caused by a complication from an infection with E coli 0157

Anna said: ‘It was really scary. I never expected to go away and get this ill. I lost so much weight from being in hospital – my body just completely shut down’

He also said that forensic tests showed that Mr Cooper suffered acute intestinal dysentery caused by E.coli. 

Anna believes if it wasn’t for the treatment she received at Royal Liverpool Hospital, she wouldn’t be here today.

Anna said: ‘It was really scary. I never expected to go away and get this ill.

‘I lost so much weight from being in hospital – my body just completely shut down.

‘It’s thanks to the amazing staff at Liverpool hospital that I am here today. I honestly believe if I hadn’t gone to hospital when I did, it would be a whole different story.’

Anna says she wants her story to act as a warning to other holidaymakers.

Miss Doherty’s family booked the package holiday with booking website OnTheBeach.

A company spokesperson said: ‘We pride ourselves on delivering the highest standards of service and care to ensure our customers have the best possible holiday experience, and provide emergency contact details for them to use during their holiday should any issues arise.

Anna (left) spoke out as tests revealed that British holidaymakers John and Susan Cooper had suffered illnesses caused by a suspected e.coli outbreak at another hotel in Hurghada

Both tourists were staying in the popular Hurghada resort in Egypt but were at different hotels

‘On this occasion, whilst we were not made aware of the customer feeling unwell either whilst on holiday or upon their return home, we are now in touch with them and assisting in any way that we can.’

Jasmine Palace Hotel has been contacted repeatedly for comment, but has not responded.

E.coli is a bacteria which lives in the intestines of humans and animals and can cause diarrhoea and stomach cramps.  

Initially, officials said the Coopers’ deaths on 21 August were not caused by bacteria, but now the country’s general prosecutor has claimed E.coli was a factor.

Their daughter Kelly Ormerod, from Burnley, Lancashire, has said she has ‘no faith’ in the Egyptian authorities and has demanded further answers. 

John Cooper, 69, and his wife Susan, 64, died after being taken ill at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic Hotel in Hurghada

 Their daughter Kelly Ormerod has said she has ‘no faith’ in the Egyptian authorities and that she saw no ‘evidence or facts of any E Coli’ at the hotel before her parents deaths

Mrs Ormerod, who was staying at the same hotel with her children, said: ‘I have not seen evidence or facts of any E.coli. 

‘Thomas Cook put a report out that there were high levels of E.coli at the hotel. Whether the Egyptians have honed in on that, I have no idea.

‘But anybody can Google what E.coli symptoms are and the progression of E.coli and it does not kill you within a matter of hours.

‘They are either stuck for answers or don’t want to tell the truth. They are obviously aware this is having a very negative effect on tourism.’

Prosecutor Nabil Sadek said forensic tests showed that Mr Cooper suffered acute intestinal dysentery caused by E.coli, and Susan Cooper suffered Hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS), likely because of E.coli.

He says the couple’s bodies showed ‘no criminal violence’ and other tests on air and water at the hotel found nothing unusual.

Source: Read Full Article