Ten bus drivers rescue woman after she was trapped under 50ft of plastic fencing

A woman has told of how she’s ‘lucky to be alive’ after 50ft of plastic fencing fell on top of her outside a bus station.

Ann Farrell, 61, from Dukinfield, Greater Manchester, was on her way to a hospital appointment when the fencing collapsed due to strong winds on Saturday.

She and another elderly man became trapped up the fencing until they were rescued.

It took 10 bus drivers to lift the fencing off them before they were rushed to hospital.

Ms Farrell was x-rayed and later discharged from hospital with severe bruising.

The condition of the elderly man is not known.

The fencing was in place as parts of Ashton bus station are closed off for the construction of a new transport interchange.

Ms Farrell believes insufficient health and safety steps were taken to ensure the fencing was secure.

She told the Manchester Evening News : “All of a sudden the wind just picked up and all of the fencing came down on me.

“There must have been about 50ft of fencing all tied together. There was an older man behind me with a walking stick who got caught up in it too.

“The bus driver came flying out of the bus station and in the end it took 10 of them to get the fencing off us.

“The fencing wasn’t filled with water like it should be so at the first little bit of wind it was always going to blow over.

“I am just so grateful it wasn’t a small child. I’ve never been so scared in my life. Thank God I am alive.

“The bus drivers were saying there was nothing in the plastic containers in the bottom to hold them down – I think they ignored the health and safety.

“Even I know knew there was going to be high winds yesterday.”

Ms Farrell says she is upset and angry that nobody has contacted her to check on her condition.

Read More

Top Stories from Mirror Online

  • Girl dies after Margate rescue
  • Murdered teen’s bedroom untouched
  • New Otto Warmbier theories
  • Shocking Spice use at prison

She added: “Not one person in charge phoned the hospital to see how we were and nobody has got in touch with me since.

“They don’t care whether we are dead or alive.”

A spokesperson for Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) said they would work with the contractor to investigate what happened.

They said in a statement: “Following an incident in a passenger walkway at Ashton Bus Station, two people were treated for injuries and taken by ambulance to hospital.

“It is understood that some construction hoardings had become loose and we will be investigating the cause alongside the contractor.

“The area has been made safe and is open to the public.”

Source: Read Full Article