Town crier, 61, forced to fight off yobs with his official BELL

Town crier, 61, is forced to fight off bike yobs with his official BELL after they attacked him and stole his hat and wig while riding round him ‘like a gang of sharks’ 

  • Alan Myatt – town crier of 30 years standing – attacked after Gloucester function
  • He fought off bike yobs off with ceremonial bell, but fell over and hurt his knee
  • The 68-year-old gave up trying to tell police after hour and a half on the phone
  • Local residents are furious about attack on man dubbed ‘heart and soul of city’

A popular town crier was forced to fight off yobs with his ceremonial bell as they tried to steal his hat and wig.

Alan Myatt was making an official appearance in Gloucester yesterday afternoon when three teenagers rode up and tried to rob him.

The 61-year-old – who has been town crier for 30 years – fell during the struggle, injuring his knee and shoulder.

Gloucester town crier Alan Myatt was attacked by yobs after carrying out duties in the city. He is pictured during an appearance at a previous event

He said the group – whose age he estimated at 17 – rode up on bikes and set upon him ‘like a pack of sharks’.

Mr Myatt said: ‘They tried to grab my hat. I fended them off and I carried on walking.

‘Then they came at me from behind. I turned around and managed to fend them off again. One guy came in and he grabbed my hat and wig.

  • Vigilante mob of almost 400 people join forces to tackle…

    Film maker, 20, tells of terrifying moment ‘robbers squirted…

Share this article

‘I grabbed him. He fell off his bike and dropped my things. I threw my bell at him and then he scarpered.’

The local figure’s bell was damaged in the attack, which unfolded in the city’s Northgate Street after he had appeared at a local Stroke Club meeting.

He said: ‘I was not scared but I was a bit shaken up. I had a similar experience in the past when someone tried to pinch my bell a few years ago.’

He tried to report the attack to police on 101 but gave up after waiting more than an hour

Mr Myatt posted this message on Facebook after he was inundated with support from locals

The former market worker needed a medicinal pint of a beer at a nearby pub to calm his nerves.

He tried to call local police on their 101 phone line but gave up after waiting for an hour and a half.  

But angry locals have gone online to demand his attackers are tracked down and punished. 

Mr Myatt replied on Facebook: ‘Dear Friends, thank you for your messages of concern as regards the attempt to steal my hat and wig (the tools of my trade ) by yobs on cycles in Northgate St.

‘I am ok, a little shook up. I apologise I can not respond to all you lovely people out there I am. Overwhelmed by your kind messages and thoughts, I would be up all night trying to respond and acknowledge, forgive me.’

The attack happened at 4pm on Tuesday in this Gloucester street. Mr Myatt said he had a medicinal pint to steady his nerves after suffering knocks to his knee and shoulder

One city resident wrote online: ‘You are the heart and soul of our city. Now let’s find these scum.’

Mr Myatt became a town crier after winning a competition. His cries of  ‘Oyez, Oyez, Oyez’ have been recorded at 112.8 decibels by the Guinness Book of Records. 

He has carried out his duties for the Golden Jubilee, the Diamond Jubilee and the Queen Mother’s 100th birthday.

Source: Read Full Article